Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Roy, thanks for the post. But this is straight from Pub.535, p.41:
Health Insurance deduction for the Self-Employed
You can deduct 45% of the amount paid during 1998 for medical insurance ... for yourself and your family, if you are one of the following.
1) A Self_employed individual.
3) A shareholder owning more than 2% of the outstanding stock of an S corporation.

So I don't see how it is different if you are selfemployed or an S corp.

Also, could you direct me to the IRS publication about when your plan is considered subsidized. Also, if my COBRA isn't subsidized (I am pretty sure about that), what supporting documentation I should have about it.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.