Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Came across this actively managed real estate fund for the first time today.

With a name like I wonder if it's managed by Jack Sparrow. That's Captain... Jack Sparrow.

This is the tail end of some months of off and on input to a young friend who has been asking about investing in real estate. He was all hot under the collar at the start to get into actual properties to flip, accumulate and self manage. I don't know if he got into Rich Dad, Poor Dad, TV flipper shows or what. Anyway way premature IMHO for him given his still small total holdings. He's just gotten to where he's max'd 401K contributions to the level his employer will match.

Got him to set up a Roth IRA and invest there next after 401k. Also got him considering REIT's, he'd not heard of them. See's the advantage for him over buying individual properties at this point.

From there got him to looking at VNQ as a starting point and a couple broader market ETFs. Is young with a taste for blood so in addition to SPY I pointed him at Russell 2000 and QQQ (yeah I know... but you have to play to your audience a bit).

Then low and behold today he sees that RRRRx is an offering in his 401K. Looks interesting.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.