Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
RSH and JohnEBGood,

Regarding the "Zovant" posts: this drug is now called "Xigris" because Zovant failed the FDA's product name review process (which is increasingly difficult these days). It is activated protein C, not an endotoxin blocker, and is the first product which has shown any efficacy in this field. Given that many of the endotoxin blockers (not "staph" endotoxin blockers, LPS is from gram negative bacteria or at least it's supposed to be) actually increased death rates and that 31% survival compared to 25% survival really means that instead of losing 6 patients out of 20 you now lose 5 (i.e. you need to treat 20 patients to gain an additional life; not a bad ratio overall when the endpoint is death) I would expect the drug to be used a lot, but there is no way this drug alone will make up for the billions that were coming in from Prozac.

WCMinor
*---

If a new drug could save one life out of one hundred (critically ill, clinically qualified patients) , to me, it would be worth making that new drug.

Funny, even after all these years, you still can't put a price on a human life, the consequences of the continued quality existence of that human life, or conversely its termination.

How do you tell the grandkids that Nana won't be coming home for Christmas? How many dollars would you be willing to pay not to have to say those words? What do dollars even mean, in that context?

RSH.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.