Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Rubic,
I think WAP offers some potential
advantages, but it will have to remove what
I consider a fundamental barrier -- cheap
access to clients via a WAP gateway

I can see the problem that is holding you back -- have you tried working directly with the major vendors such as Nokia or Ericsson? I know that they have had programs in place for quite a while now to encourage developers of WAP-based applications. Somehow, they are providing the necessary support to these application developers, because there is a trickle (or maybe a "drip, drip, drip"?) of applications adapted for WAP coming out.

I just don't like the idea of using WAP middleware
on technical or economic grounds

Since you've had the opportunity to do more in-depth investigation, can you give some of the reasons behind your conclusion? I think it would be interesting for other people to see.

As for cellular data vs. WAP, I personally have a hard time seeing cellular data being much more than a toy, with limited market appeal. Consider, for example, the cost to the user, and the effective throughput that one can expect.

And I would agree that it will be a while before WAP has a significant following -- in the North American market. If you target the European market, I think the perils of being a pioneer are fewer. To return to the earlier point about developer support from the major vendors, there are already a number of WAP-based applications in the market in Europe. It should be possible to get information about their market acceptance, which should help significantly in reducing risk to you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.