Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The scene:
For his second shot, my fellow competitor mistook my ball for his and hit it toward the green. When I got to what I thought was my ball, I discovered that it was someone else's (his, as it turned out) and that I thought he hit my ball. We fixed that problem (I dropped another ball as close as could be determined to where he hit the wrong ball and he went on to hit the correct ball) and we finished the hole.
The upshot:
All in the foursome discussed whether or not there should be a penalty. I maintained that under the new rules beginning this year that there was no penalty. I even dug out the rule book and it seemed to back up my opinion. Even then, there was no agreement. At the end of the round, we presented the problem to the proper authorities and it was ruled that there was a two-stroke penalty.
Although the rule is somewhat ambiguous, I maintain that, as long as there are no further shots made with the wrong ball (as was the case), there shouldn't be a penalty.
What say you?
Print the post Back To Top
At the end of the round, we presented the problem to the proper authorities and it was ruled that there was a two-stroke penalty....What say you?

I agree with accessing your playing partner a two stroke penalty. I've been burned by that rule a couple of times even though I mark my ball.

I mark my ball with a red dot at the end of the ball logo. It helps a lot with ball identification. The problem arises when my playing competitor (who finds and plays a lot of lost balls) every now and then says 'Here's a ball with a red dot' and I take his word for it and instead of closely looking at the ball I go ahead and play it. Bingo ... two stroke penalty. And there goes another $3 bucks.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
I am an avid golfer. Hit wrong ball--> medal play 2 stroke penalty or hole loss in match play. In couples tourney a few years ago; she hit wrong ball--> 2 strokes . Lost tourney by 1! stroke.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Always mark your ball distinctively especially if playing a popular tournament brand ball in a tournament.

Putting 1 dot somewhere is not distinctive and can be easily mistaken (and costly).
Multiple dots, lines, colors, etc. to make no mistake ever about the ball belonging to you.

John