Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Run a few cleaning cycles on the printer, if that does not stop the stripes watch a youtube video and remove the print head and clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Give it a shot you have nothing to lose!

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-clean-clogged-inkj...

https://castleink.com/blogs/printer-help/how-to-clean-print-...

Sometimes the print heads cannot be cleaned or are worn out, you can often get a replacement cheap on ebay however the print head sometimes can be a fair amount of the cost of a new printer, just depends on the model.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I suspect part of this is liability.

If you 'fix' your car with an aftermarket part, and somehow it screws up another computer system in the car and it crashes, or the anti-lock brakes don't work, or the air bags don't deploy, who you going to sue? right - the original car maker, not the aftermarket supplier located in Malaysia with a PO Box.

If you replace a part in your smartphone and the phone catches fire...who you going to sue? right! the maker of the smart phone, even if the new part is shoddy and should never have been used.

If you try to 'repair' the hospital ventilator, but screw up...who gets sued? Right.....

and so it goes.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yje link is broken, I tried, but duct tape didn't work out...
No. of Recommendations: 4
It wouldn’t make financial sense to spend more money on a repair on anything if it costs more than a new one.

If it’s a make do...yeah I suppose and you can limp along to the next repair. If homeowner wants to do it themselves, yeah, just buy the part and install yourself....yeah that would make sense but otherwise I stand by the first sentence of this post.

Lucky Dog

I take metal to the junkyard for cash :)
No. of Recommendations: 0
If it’s a make do...yeah I suppose and you can limp along to the next repair. If homeowner wants to do it themselves, yeah, just buy the part and install yourself....yeah that would make sense but otherwise I stand by the first sentence of this post.

I did push myself to buy a new knob for my dryer(circa 2001, I think) instead of continuing to use an adjustable wrench but I consider part of that a thank you to the company for their Youtube that helped me know what was wrong.

Computer ? I use a Macbook. It's a business expense and eventually, I'll get a new one.

Car - well, there is duct tape on my Element ;)
Thanks!

I repair what I can, but my eldest brother took it to the max, baling wire wood pieces carved to fit, he McGyvered it all.. I never had that much patience.. Quick fix or it's gone... Recycled, but gone..
The planned-obsolenscence manufacturers have all kinds of reasons to restrict repairs, including software as well as hardware. But the environmental impact of waste is huge.

If you are pro-repair, raise your hand!
Of course, if everyone LBYMed, repaired and reused their possessions as much as I do, the economy would collapse.

It's complicated.

1. Our legal system's protections for software are spotty. This is one reason you have to agree to long complicated license agreements to do anything anymore. The software is licensed to you, instead of sold outright, so you can't disassemble it, analyze it, steal their intellectual property, etc. As software eats more of the world, this becomes a bigger and bigger problem in fixing things. I work in high-tech and the ability to protect one's intellectual property is kind of important to my ongoing paychecks. I do like getting paid on the regular.

2. For more mundane things around the house, I honestly can't imagine NOT fixing things. In this past week, I've replaced three rotten pickets in the privacy fence, mended a decorative candle holder with baling wire (almost as good as duct tape!), and stitched up some T-shirts for DS.

3. I've replaced the battery in my (previous) iPhone to extend its useful life. I spent IIRC $72 to get another two years' service from the unit. I've also added DRAM and replaced the battery in an elderly Windows laptop for DS. He plays games on it and it can boot Chromium to double as a school Chromebook when it has to. (And the old pokey Windows box makes for a very snappy Chromebook.) We don't toss things just because they're old.

Regards,

- HCF
If you 'fix' your car with an aftermarket part, and somehow it screws up another computer system in the car and it crashes, or the anti-lock brakes don't work, or the air bags don't deploy, who you going to sue? right - the original car maker, not the aftermarket supplier located in Malaysia with a PO Box.

If you replace a part in your smartphone and the phone catches fire...who you going to sue? right! the maker of the smart phone, even if the new part is shoddy and should never have been used.

If you try to 'repair' the hospital ventilator, but screw up...who gets sued? Right.....

Why is a lawsuit the immediate reaction?

peace & personal accountability
t
If you replace a part in your smartphone

I had to stop right there.
No. of Recommendations: 6
If you buy a product — a car, a smartphone, or even a tractor

------------------------

I'm in a bit of a different position than most folks here. We repair heavy equipment. Often folks come to our shop because the manufacturer service centers no longer support their equipment.

For example, a combine has the hydrostat crash. The dealer no longer services it. They can't even replace it. However, most of the time we know the unit isn't made by John Deere, to name one, but made by Sundstrand. We can buy the parts or the unit from a Sundstrand distributor...often the local John Deere dealers come to us or send their customers to us. These are fairly expensive $2000+ units and without them the combine is trash.

Sometimes we have a problem getting parts because the manufacture of the part had a deal with the manufacturer of the machine to not make the parts available to anyone but a dealer [they are called OEM only (Original Equipment Manufacturer)]...except now the dealer has decided not to supply them.

Imagine buying a $500,000 machine and not being able to get parts for it.....
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

I take metal to the junkyard for cash :)

I collect empty aluminum cans and give them to the church lady who gives them to her church to sell.

Desert (cycling recycler) Dave
I wish I could fix my Epson printer. It's a couple of years old, and until a month or so it was OK. Now color prints come out with stripes where the cyan drops out. I don't know any place that fixes them. I thought it was a driver problem but I may never find out. It's out of warranty & Epson has been completely unhelpful.

Perhaps more annoying, the washing machine had something go wrong with its computer & the only thing the repair guy suggested was, replace the computer ($615)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Run a few cleaning cycles on the printer, if that does not stop the stripes watch a youtube video and remove the print head and clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Give it a shot you have nothing to lose!

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-clean-clogged-inkj...

https://castleink.com/blogs/printer-help/how-to-clean-print-...

Sometimes the print heads cannot be cleaned or are worn out, you can often get a replacement cheap on ebay however the print head sometimes can be a fair amount of the cost of a new printer, just depends on the model.