Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 112
I honestly don't see why liberals think he is so obnoxious.

Rush Limbaugh:

On a mother who lost her son in the Iraq war:
"Cindy Sheehan is just Bill Burkett. Her story is nothing more than forged documents. There's nothing about it that's real."

On feminism:
"Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream."

On Abu Ghraib:
This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation, and we're going to ruin people's lives over it, and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people.

On Jerry Garcia:
Just another dead doper. And a dirt bag

On Kurt Cobain:
Kurt Cobain died of a drug-induced suicide, I just -- he was a worthless shred of human debris.

On families of 9/11 victims:
We had a typically snooty, silly little liberal on the phone who wanted to take potshots at me for daring, daring to say that some of the 9/11 family members are close to becoming or have become Democrat operatives.

Rush Limbaugh on the kidnapping of peace activists in Iraq:
"I'm telling you, folks, there's a part of me that likes this."

I could go on. Rush Limbaugh is a dweeb. A dumb one at that.

No. of Recommendations: 90
I honestly don't see why liberals think he is so obnoxious.

Well, I do remember him referring to 13 year old Chelsea Clinton as the White House dog.

Brave man that Rush, having the raw fearlessness to personally attack a 13 year old girl on nationwide radio to millions of people.

--ET
No. of Recommendations: 11
"I honestly don't see why liberals think he is so obnoxious."

This statement says more about you than it does about liberals.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I think he is better than Sean Hannity. Why doesn't he have a TV show?

Because he has a great face for radio.
No. of Recommendations: 1

He use to. Ran a half an hour and was on for one or two seasons. He shut it down because of the demands on his time. The show was good but not the quality of his radio show. Also, he didn't have complete control over show content as he does on radio.

philz
No. of Recommendations: 0
Then there was his comments about how liberals have taken over academia and related some stories, one being l the Muslim Arab who ran down 9 students on the UNC campus on Friday and the school being reluctant to call it terrorism. He also made mention, this received very little news in the MSM .

I remember just a few years ago when a kid at UC Santa Barbara ran down a group of other kids at UCSB. Don't remember him being called a terrorist. Oh wait, he was white, that would just be silly, right? I'm sure he was christian, too. which makes all the difference in the world, right?

I couldn't say whether that story made national headlines, but I heard it here in California.
No. of Recommendations: 11
Well, I do remember him referring to 13 year old Chelsea Clinton as the White House dog.

Brave man that Rush, having the raw fearlessness to personally attack a 13 year old girl on nationwide radio to millions of people.

--ET
===============================
If he said this, it was out of line. However, Bush's daughters, wife, mother and the very value of his life have been fair game to the Democrats, as has Cheney's daughter, so you really can't use that to pontificate about The Left's self-righteousness.

They also make fun of conservative women in general and have for a long time.

Finally someone swings back, and they get all insulted. Too bad.

Given that Rush made the comment while Clinton was in office, I don't see how he could be "swinging back" for anything said many years afterward.

And, by the way, Bush's daughter was made fun of for something she actually did -- using a fake ID to buy booze while daddy was in the oval office, a comical thing anyway you look at it -- not for how she looked while going through puberty.

--ET

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Given that Rush made the comment while Clinton was in office, I don't see how he could be "swinging back" for anything said many years afterward."

Exactly. Rush and his ilk set the bar, and then the bullies cry foul if anyone responds with similar rhetoric - and, btw, IMO the left does NOT res[pond in similar fashion and generally keeps the criticism at a higher level.

The bullies just expect the victims to stay victims.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 2
Then there was his comments about how liberals have taken over academia

It's a liberal conspiracy ....back in liberal camp they were all sittin' round the fire sayin' let's all of us'n liberals get some education and a bunch of Ph.D.s and then we can infiltrate the country's universities...

It's curious, this link between education and liberalism ... couldn't we just let the gov'ment do the thinkin for us?

David

"Exactly. Rush and his ilk set the bar, and then the bullies cry foul if anyone responds with similar rhetoric..."

This has become the standard Republican tactic. Publish over the top foul slanders and then scream like a stuck pig when the opposition responds. This is why the Dems seem so "weak". To counter, the opposition should strike first and hard. Does this raise the bar of political discourse? No, but given the "peeples" short attention span and need for corse entertainment it has the best chance of success.

When was the last time there were statesmen in American politics?

Regards. Thetis.
No. of Recommendations: 5
So, what's the problem, except he talks about the lies and half-truths or presents the other sides of issues, Leftists don't want to talk about?

Are you kidding? That is the whole problem. Liberals don't want the other side to have a voice or an effective spokesman. They don't want anyone to contradict them or call them on their lies and distortions, so they have villified Limbaugh and tried everthing they can think of to get him off of the air including trying to trump up criminal charges.

'Liberals don't want the other side to have a voice or an effective spokesman. They don't want anyone to contradict them or call them' Mr Cynic

Que? You haven't noticed then. The 'other side' is running the country. They are IN government. Reading this sentence, one would assume that 'the other side' had been shunted off into obscurity by the Liberal politburo. Hmm. Too bizarre. What gives with this perpetual victim bleating from the team that is in power? LOL
The loonie toons from the sixties started this type of discourse. They traded in their tid-dyes for 3 piece suits and judicial robes.

And became Republicans

herb
Schumer is on record, I believe, in thinking that would just be fine.
-------
Another of your big fat lies....
As far as the feminist movement, in some respects, he hit that dead on. Homely women discriminate against attractive women worse than any man ever did. Now it has gotten to the point, where a man is actually afraid of hiring an attractive woman.
----
Are you doing the same drugs as your hero Rush?

So many quotes have been falsely attributed to Rush, or else they have been distorted. Perhaps you have a link or something to substantiate this one?

It's not his fault, he was/is on drugs.

So many quotes have been falsely attributed to Rush, or else they have been distorted. Perhaps you have a link or something to substantiate this one?

Oh, well. No point in my being coy about it. I'll just say it flat out: that Limbaugh called Chelsea the White House dog is a lie, Limbaugh never said any such thing.

You specifically said "I do remember him referring to 13 year old Chelsea Clinton as the White House dog." That's an affirmative statement alleging a direct and personal experience on your part.

Lots of references. Here's just one...

The commentator Rush Limbaugh joked on Rupert Murdoch's Fox News TV channel: "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" He then held up a picture of 12-year-old Chelsea.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20030713/ai_n12742973

As far as the feminist movement, in some respects, he hit that dead on. Homely women discriminate against attractive women worse than any man ever did. Now it has gotten to the point, where a man is actually afraid of hiring an attractive woman.
----
Are you doing the same drugs as your hero Rush?

-----

Probably thinks she got discriminated against in favor of some 'homely' woman.

I'll bet salongi is so knock-out gorgeous that 'homely' women probably shouldn't even talk to her, and if they must, should avert their eyes so they aren't overcome with jealosy. Maybe these women should hide their 'homely' countenance behind a sackcloth or something so she doesn't have to endure the sight of such 'homeliness'.

I wonder if she once lost a job to some such 'homely' woman because the guy was afraid of hiring such an attractive speciman as salongi.

Rich
The commentator Rush Limbaugh joked on Rupert Murdoch's Fox News TV channel: "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" He then held up a picture of 12-year-old Chelsea.

Nope, a quote of a quote is not going to cut it. The people in the news media hate Limbaugh so much that they are constantly lying about and distorting what he says. No, you're going to have to come up with a transcript or a recording of the incident itself, not someone's report of it.
No. of Recommendations: 53
Nope, a quote of a quote is not going to cut it. The people in the news media hate Limbaugh so much that they are constantly lying about and distorting what he says. No, you're going to have to come up with a transcript or a recording of the incident itself, not someone's report of it.

You are remarkably diligent in your quest for this proof that Rush called Chelsea a dog...yet you'll take the word of a New York Post hack over the word of...practically everyone including the U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad when it comes to Iraq.

Who would ever take you seriously?
No. of Recommendations: 8

Oh, well. No point in my being coy about it. I'll just say it flat out: that Limbaugh called Chelsea the White House dog is a lie, Limbaugh never said any such thing.

You are right, he never actually "said" she was the White House dog. But during his TV days ...

In 1993, when Chelsea Clinton was still in braces, Rush Limbaugh said this: "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat," said Limbaugh. "Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?" He then pointed to a TV monitor, which switched to a picture of Chelsea Clinton. In response to criticism, Limbaugh claimed that his producer had played a trick on him.

http://www.search.com/reference/Rush_Limbaugh

herb
No. of Recommendations: 9

You're so precious.

Limbaugh never did actually call Chelea Clinton the White House dog. On his short-lived TV show, over a picture of the Clinton's cat, Socks, he said, "Did you know that there's a White House dog?" and then showed a picture of Chelsea, who was 13 years old at the time. Pretty juvenile. Rush's sense of humor, I mean.

So, you're right. Limbaugh never called Chelsea Clinton a dog. He never even mentioned her name.

He did, however, apologize.
I'm guessing Wikipedia's not an acceptable Chelsea/dog source then either?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Clinton

Ken
In 1993, when Chelsea Clinton was still in braces, Rush Limbaugh said this: "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat," said Limbaugh. "Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?" He then pointed to a TV monitor, which switched to a picture of Chelsea Clinton. In response to criticism, Limbaugh claimed that his producer had played a trick on him.

Nope, this is yet another false account of what happened. But at least you're getting closer to the truth and admit that Rush never said that Chelsea is the White House dog.

You base your entire view of Rush Limbaugh on what other people have told you about him. And much of what they've told you is false and distorted. And this pretty much sums up how the entire leftist world view is constructed.
You are remarkably diligent in your quest for this proof that Rush called Chelsea a dog...yet you'll take the word of a New York Post hack

You imply that other people have put forth facts that contradict what the New York Post has published. No need to beat around the bush, so to speak, let's see those facts. And I don't mean "facts" about Khalilzad's opinions, I mean facts about what's going on in Iraq.

You think the New York Post hack is just making the whole thing up? Don't you think that the intrepid reporters of the NY Times, et al., would go out and get the truth that contradicts those reports if they could?

But they can't. The way the New York Times has framed events in Iraq depends on ignoring much of the picture.

Nope, this is yet another false account of what happened. But at least you're getting closer to the truth and admit that Rush never said that Chelsea is the White House dog.

For being a false account of what happened it seems there are quite a few hits to said incidence on Google, and not just from left wing bloggers either.

As for what I base my view of Rush Limbaugh on, you have no idea. I base it on Rush himself. I've watched the TV show, he's on the radio in this area and I listen in occassionally anymore (I once used to listen more than I do now). Rush is a horse's patoot. I don't know if he is syndicated or not but if you want a good conservative talk show host listen to Michael Smerconish if he is around. The man makes valid points and is usually logical in his viewpoints unlike the bombasic bluster of the Limbaughs. Even if I disagree with him I still respect him.

Of course he isn't as entertaining as Rush and he doesn't expect his callers to "ditto" everything he says. He doesn't spoon feed pablum to his audience and you might need at least half a brain to follow him.

herb
A described by Ahote, "Rush Limbaugh is a dweeb".
A dweeb is an acronym for the phrase "dick with eyebrows". He is calling Rush a walking penis. Anybody got a problem with that?
'this pretty much sums up how the entire leftist world view is constructed.' Mr Cynic

Hey, how about your world view? Lets take a shufti, based on recent posts:

A) You reckon Baghdad is comparable to New York. Que? Have you ever been to either of those cities? Because if you had, you couldn't make this eejut comparison.

B) You reckon life in Baghdad is 'pretty normal.' Que? Please do explain then how this summary is in contradiction with every military and political leader on the ground in Baghdad? You know better than them, I take it? How so? What's your evidence for that assertion? Something you read in a tabloid owned by Murdoch? Gosh. Just gotta be true then. And all those US military dudes are flat out wrong. Or commies. Or something.

C) You reckon that the 'other side's' viewpoint has been marginalised. Que? The 'other side' is running the country. Yet you make out that 'the other side' has been shunted into crepuscular obscurity by the Liberal Stasi. Hey, what gives with this perpetual victim whining when 'the other side' is running the country and sitting in the WH?

As for a 'leftist' worldview, you use this term to describe anyone who isn't on board with your worldview, which often seems to operate in defiance of external reality and rational thought. You know what I reckon? I reckon in order to have a 'worldview,' it's necessary to have seen something of the world, otherwise one's world view becomes very limited. Limited to the world outside one's own window.
You imply that other people have put forth facts that contradict what the New York Post has published. No need to beat around the bush, so to speak, let's see those facts. And I don't mean "facts" about Khalilzad's opinions, I mean facts about what's going on in Iraq.

Spare me. You are given facts every day. You never acknowledge them.

It's really easy, but infantile, to turn up your nose no matter what is offered. It's easy to scream "show me a fact! show me a fact!" and then close your eyes.

You use the language of the high ground, but your actions are beneath contempt.
You base your entire view of Rush Limbaugh on what other people have told you about him. And much of what they've told you is false and distorted. And this pretty much sums up how the entire leftist world view is constructed.
False and distorted--Like what you are doing to protect Rush Limbaugh from the truth? Lets face it, any adult who would talk about a 13 yr. olds looks is slime. And any adult that would make excuses for that behavior is slime.
No. of Recommendations: 7
He is calling Rush a walking penis. Anybody got a problem with that?

Yeah, I do. Last time I checked mine served a useful purpose. Can you say the same about Rush? It's an insult to Johnsons everywhere.

herb
<Why doesn't he have a TV show?>

He says feminism was invented to provide ugly women access to the mainstream; maybe radio was invented to provide employment for fat-butted human piles of excrement with faces like rhinos' backsides.
ET, I've been around the block a few times. If you don't think liberals have been taking pot shots at conservatives for decades now, I will chalk it up to youth.

I already said it was out of line.

While you said that Limbaugh's personal attack on Chelsea Clinton was out of line, you then proceeded to engage in moral equivalence in order to excuse it by saying others do bad stuff too (and then citing conduct by adults/college students, not the looks of children).

This isn't about liberals and conservatives, it is about appalling human conduct by an adult male toward a young teenage girl, so he can get a yuck, and she can be humiliated.

If you are looking for some kind of moral equivalence, you can look to John McCain doing the same thing to Chelsea, with a "joke" told at a fundraiser that some would consider even worse. The "liberal media" that some like to take potshots at, gave him a pass for the most part and didn't repeat it:

http://www.salon.com/news/1998/06/25newsb.html

--ET
If you are looking for some kind of moral equivalence, you can look to John McCain doing the same thing to Chelsea, with a "joke" told at a fundraiser that some would consider even worse. The "liberal media" that some like to take potshots at, gave him a pass for the most part and didn't repeat it:

http://www.salon.com/news/1998/06/25newsb.html

Let me add, by the way -- since this thread is about Rush and not McCain (or anyone else) -- that McCain later apologized. And the "liberal media" may also have chosen not to print it because, while the viciousness was newsworthy, it would be too hurtful and unfair to Chelsea had she seen it at a young age in print.

--ET
Nope, this is yet another false account of what happened.

No, it's true and of public record. You could find it yourself if you were actually interested in the truth. Molly Ivins addressed Rush's "sense of humor" in one of her columns:

"The kind of humor Limbaugh uses troubles me deeply, because I have spent much of my professional life making fun of politicians. I believe it is a great American tradition and should be encouraged. We should all laugh more at our elected officials--it's good for us and good for them. So what right do I have to object because Limbaugh makes fun of different pols than I do?

I object because he consistently targets dead people, little girls, and the homeless--none of whom are in a particularly good position to answer back. Satire is a weapon, and it can be quite cruel. It has historically been the weapon of powerless people aimed at the powerful. When you use satire against powerless people, as Limbaugh does, it is not only cruel, it's profoundly vulgar. It is like kicking a cripple.

On his TV show, early in the Clinton administration, Limbaugh put up a picture of Socks, the White House cat, and asked, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" Then he put up a picture of Chelsea Clinton, who was 13 years old at the time and as far as I know had never done any harm to anyone.

When viewers objected, he claimed, in typical Limbaugh fashion, that the gag was an accident and that without his permission some technician had put up the picture of Chelsea--which I found as disgusting as his original attempt at humor.

On another occasion, Limbaugh put up a picture of Labor Secretary Robert Reich that showed him from the forehead up, as though that were all the camera could get. Reich is indeed a very short man as a result of a bone disease he had as a child. Somehow the effect of bone disease in children has never struck me as an appropriate topic for humor.

The reason I take Rush Limbaugh seriously is not because he's offensive or right-wing, but because he is one of the few people addressing a large group of disaffected people in this country. And despite his frequent denials, Limbaugh does indeed have a somewhat cultlike effect on his dittoheads. They can listen to him for three and a half hours a day, five days a week, on radio and television. I can assure you that David Koresh did not harangue the Branch Davidians so long nor so often. But that is precisely what most cult leaders do--talk to their followers hour after hour after hour."

Yeah, the man's a laugh riot.

I could go on. Rush Limbaugh is a dweeb. A dumb one at that.

Well, at least Rush actually has an audience, unlike a certain radio network...

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/60684.htm

Exceprt:

AIR America is close to losing its New York flagship station - knocking Al Franken and his liberal colleagues off the air on their second anniversary.

The network has a two-year lease with WLIB (AM 1190) that is reportedly set to expire April 1 - and at least one reliable report says it is "extremely likely" the deal will not be renewed.

I'd say I'm surprised... but that isn't entirely true.

Mike
salongi says

So, what's the problem, except he talks about the lies and half-truths or presents the other sides of issues, Leftists don't want to talk about? Has he ever said a Democrat should be assassinated?

Anyway, when I was done getting my roses, I finished listening to it, until it was over, ran some other errands, and kept that station on to see if I can get it up where my ranch is.

I can. Listen, people, if this man can get people to tune into AM radio and sit still to listen for a couple of hours (no pictures), I'd say he meets a need that liberals aren't addressing. You might try to figure out what it is, instead of trying to kill the messenger.

You certainly proved you can't copy him, and it's not because you can't be sarcastic. It is because it doesn't appeal to what really concerns people.

This isn't funny or entertaining at all. You should go back to your classic crazy-lady posting style.

crassfool
AIR America is close to losing its New York flagship station - knocking Al Franken and his liberal colleagues off the air on their second anniversary.

The network has a two-year lease with WLIB (AM 1190) that is reportedly set to expire April 1 - and at least one reliable report says it is "extremely likely" the deal will not be renewed.

-----

You guys keep posting Air America gloom & doom and that they will be closing down, and they just keep on broadcasting.

Go figure.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Bin Cynic says

So, I take it you were in the Oval Office, and an eyewitness to that blowjob. Or you have a video of it. Or are you just basing your view of Clinton on what others have told you?

crassfool
You guys keep posting Air America gloom & doom and that they will be closing down,

They probably will. It's hard to keep a radio show going that actually requires people to think. Just saying mega-dittoes is a hell of a lot easier.

herb
Bin Cynic says

You think the New York Post hack is just making the whole thing up? Don't you think that the intrepid reporters of the NY Times, et al., would go out and get the truth that contradicts those reports if they could?

But they can't. The way the New York Times has framed events in Iraq depends on ignoring much of the picture.

You know, folks, I'm on record as thinking Bin Cynic is himself a paid hack for some sort of right-wing propaganda mill. But I have to admit, I can't imagine anyone paying for this kind of drivel.

crassfool
<I remember just a few years ago when a kid at UC Santa Barbara ran down a group of other kids at UCSB. Don't remember him being called a terrorist. Oh wait, he was white, that would just be silly, right? I'm sure he was christian, too. which makes all the difference in the world, right?

I couldn't say whether that story made national headlines, but I heard it here in California.

This guy stated outloud it was he did it as vengence for Muslims.>

So when someone commits a crime, or, say, starts a war, because Jesus told him to, that's a Christian terrorist?

<I get called a racist on this board everytime one of the rabid Leftist's can't defend their argument with anything but personal attacks.>

And remember, don't trust that cab driver.

<Intimidation has been the Left's calling card for several decades now. However, they are bullies, they don't think you should swing back and when you do, they cry foul. They hold people's values against them, while they incite and denigrate. One-sided tolerance. Race baiters, so forth and so on.>

That's truely rich.\LOL
One of the reasons the Democrates lost is that they didn't get down and dirty as far as the Republicans.

The next time around they better pull out the stops.

Kerry=wuss.

Fox

You reckon Baghdad is comparable to New York.

No, you can't even truthfully characterize what I have said a few posts back much less truthfully characterize reports from Iraq. What I said was that most people in Baghdad are like people in New York City in that they hear of violence and hear sounds in the distance but are not directly involved in the violence themselves, and that is the truth of the situation there. That is far from saying that "Baghdad is like New York."

You reckon life in Baghdad is 'pretty normal.'

Normal for most of the people there, normal in terms of people participating in day to day life, in business, school, etc., and that's true.

You reckon that the 'other side's' viewpoint has been marginalised

Nope, the left wingers would like to go back to the days when conservatives and right of center moderates were marginalized, when they had no effective voice. Why do you suppose they are constantly complaining and bitching about Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and the like? Because they want those people shut down, gone, out of the picture, the way it used to be. They want them marginalized again, but it's not going to happen. They would like to paint a false picture of what is going on in Iraq, just as they did for Vietnam, and not get called on it, but they won't be entrusted with that kind of responsiblity ever again.

With the establishment of Air America the left wingers tacitly acknowledged that Rush Limbaugh and others like him had been severely damaging the hegemony of the left over the agenda set for the country by the news media. With that they acknowledged how important Limbaugh's contribution is. Limbaugh has more than once been the target of criticism directed against him from Senators and members of Congress speaking before the Congress. They know how important Limbaugh's contribution is even if they can't be honest about what Limbaugh says.

The reason I find Mr. Peters from the New York Post convincing is that I've been reading reports like his from soldiers and others in Iraq for some time. Soldiers in particular are appalled at the way the larger news media has distorted events there.
'Normal for most of the people there, normal in terms of people participating in day to day life, in business, school, etc., and that's true.' Mr Cynic

What errant nonsense. Listen. The asinine article you linked to claimed that the street was full of relaxed people going about their daily lives. This is very bizarre. Because as I have previously posted, a guy I know who LIVES IN BAGHDAD, was unable to leave his house during this period because there was a curfew in force. The article also referred to religious 'holiday' flags on the street. What 'holiday' might that be? There wasn't one in that time period. I do not know where this tabloid hack you quoted was when he filed that report, but the city he claims to be describing was in lockdown that week. Now, perhaps you'd like to explain how citizens are able to carry on any kind of 'normal' existence, like 'going to school,' when there is a blanket curfew in place? Perhaps you would also like to speculate about what security conditions require a city to impose such a curfew in the first place?
---------
This from you...so tell us more about New York City....enjoyed your lies so much this weekend.
-------
Since you have demonstrated you know nothing about New York, let alone the interpaper rivalries in this city, I suggest you confine your journalistic critiques to a newspaper you may actually know something about..The Journal of Geriatic Goats.
What I said was that most people in Baghdad are like people in New York City in that they hear of violence and hear sounds in the distance but are not directly involved in the violence themselves, and that is the truth of the situation there.
-------
What possible evidence do you have for this boneheaded statement? I would have asked for "empirical evidence" but I know that would be too hard for you to understand.
Mr Cynic,
I'll tell you something else. I do not agree with what you post on this subject, I think that you are wrong. However, I'm going to pay you possibly the first and only compliment of our many disagreements. It is true that your viewpoint on this subject is a minority one on PA. I think you are wrong, but given that in some ways you are the underdog on this issue, kudos for continuing to post them. That's the nature of debate. I don't agree with you, but without an alternate viewpoint it would be very dull.
You guys keep posting Air America gloom & doom and that they will be closing down, and they just keep on broadcasting.

Not for too much longer in New York, at least on a station with a decent signal. At this rate in two years they'll be on CB's and Ham radio. But they'll "still be broadcasting" so I guess it's all good eh?

Arbitron says "Air who?"

Mike
They probably will. It's hard to keep a radio show going that actually requires people to think. Just saying mega-dittoes is a hell of a lot easier.

Interesting... apparently Conservative thought is as deep as a coloring book? Funny, I could swear I saw actual words printed the last time I picked up the National Review or the Limbaugh Letter... maybe there was some sort of hypnosis going on when I read George Will or Thomas Sowell or Sean Hannity or Walter Williams, those were blank pages I conjured words onto.

Then again, maybe I'm just a redneck hick that can't read nor write those dern letters! I jus stole my University of Michigan degree from the fancy dressed swills at the Quick and Save.

I do listen to Rush, not every single day but as often as possible. Not because I'm some unthinking boob, but rather because much of the "news" coming from the "mainstream media" is at best inane, at worst downright treasonous. I know full well Rush has an ideology he is pushing, at least he's up front about it. Rather also had an ideology he was pushing, yet he would deny it day after day. The vast majority of the mainstream media is pushing this ideology, yet denying it. While it's true I'd still disagree with them vehemently, at least I'd have some respect for them if they weren't such hypocrites.

Yes Virginia there really is Conservative thought, and thus Conservative thinkers. Perhaps having to admit that would mean having to acknowledge that the "little people" in flyover country have valid opinions too. It may be a "scary thought", but one the left is going to have to come to grips with if they ever want to win a major election again.

Mike

P.S. I'm proud to call myself a Dittohead, I know where the phrase came from and what it actually means, unlike many on this board I bet.
I jus stole my University of Michigan degree from the fancy dressed swills at the Quick and Save.

If you went to UM you probably did <G>

herb

Spartan and proud of it

On the serious side, I never said that Conservative thought was as deep as a coloring book. There are many good and thoughtful conservative publications and even radio show hosts, it's just that Rush and his ilk aren't among them. (I prefer some of our local ones to the nationalized ones) I'm not even going to mock Rush's intelligence, just that of the majority of his audience. Instead of fostering intelligent discussion he plays to the LCD of his audience, their prejudices and preconceived ideas. I guess I can't blame him because it's not the thinking conservative that is making him all that money, it's all those mega dittoheads.

herb
On Jerry Garcia:
Just another dead doper. And a dirt bag.

On Kurt Cobain:
Kurt Cobain died of a drug-induced suicide, I just -- he was a worthless shred of human debris.

Ah, hypocrisy at its finest. And how is that prescription drug addiction going Rush?

ARR
Got OxyContin?

He use to. Ran a half an hour and was on for one or two seasons. He shut it down because of the demands on his time. The show was good but not the quality of his radio show. Also, he didn't have complete control over show content as he does on radio.

philz

If you think about it, how can one can one pop a few Oxys or snort a few lines of chopped Oxys on camera to " just get me through the show"?

If you went to UM you probably did <G>

herb

Spartan and proud of it

This is probably a first. The conservative went to UofM and the more liberal side of the debate went to MSU... Vegas would have gone the other way on that one!

Sure, Rush does have his (or rather Shankland's) parodies and such (my personal favorite is "In a Yugo", the SUV Update theme, sung to Elvis's "In the Ghetto"), but I see him more as a gateway into the deeper Conservative thought. He interviews guys like Natan Sharansky and Victor Davis Hanson and the like, people that a Conservative might not otherwise know of. Thomas Sowell has guest hosted the show, and he certainly has academic credentials.

You can take from the show what you want to. I don't deny that some people aren't interested in the deeper side of the issues... that's true on both sides really. And I admit I like the parodies, entertainment is entertainment. Rush is as anti-PC as you can get, which is a huge plus in my book. No doubt that offends the hell out of some people, which is the point really. It's part satire, part comedy and part deep political thought... with some football talk thrown in. And it's hugely successful, there's no denying that.

Mike
This is probably a first. The conservative went to UofM and the more liberal side of the debate went to MSU... Vegas would have gone the other way on that one!

I was thinking the same way.

herb
I'd say he meets a need that liberals aren't addressing.

The need to entertain idiots?

Whoa,

SL just took a shot at a fellow traveller. Guess the sun rises in the West tomorrow??? Or could it be all about that comprehension thing?

herb
Mike

The prosecution rests.

herb
SL,

I'll tell you what. When you actually figure out what is going on maybe we'll debate the subject but untill then just keep positing as yo are because you are just making my point for me.

Thank You

herb
"He is also not trying to get Air America off the air."

Right, they've assigned that task to O'Reilly.

Ken
Ken

the beauty of this is that someone is so kneejerk in their reactions that they haven't the faintest clue as to who or what they are arguing. The basis of the Limbaugh popularity and the point I was trying to make with Mike.

herb
That statement coupled with your remarks about he appeals to audiences that can't think about the deeper sides of issues is a real hoot.

First of all he has a very successful PC precense that people are willing to pay money for.

Easy killer, I'm on your side!

PC = Politically Correct. Yes, it also means Personal Computer, but that's not what I was referencing.

Mike

P.S. Does getting attacked by a Conservative make me cool on PA now even though I'm still a Conservative? Oh the paradox!
I apologize for thinking you were talking about personal computers.

Don't apologize to me, apologize to the poor Personal Computers, whom you unfairly equated with Political Correctness!

I agree that the left does misrepresent the mindset (intelligence, etc.) of Limbaugh's audience. Then again, this is the same crew that thinks anyone who voted for Bush (over 50 million people) are dumber than cucumbers!

Mike
anyone who voted for Bush (over 50 million people) are dumber than cucumbers!

Naw, just dumber than UM students. Why insult cucumbers? <G>

herb
Well, at least Rush actually has an audience

So did Joseph Goebbels

Bill Z