No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi! I'm delurking. (?)

My husband and I live north of Longmont and spent ALL day looking at RVs. We shopped at K&C RV for quite a long time.

We currently do not own an RV and are very interested in one. We were looking at Class A and Class C. Class C is what we're leaning towards because they seem more practical. They have more places to sleep :-). We have two young boys and a dog. I teach, so would have lots of time in the summer to camp and I'd like something reliable and affordable. (Yes, I looked at a pop up, but I'm not sure that I'd feel secure and I don't think I could tow the travel trailer without having a nervous breakdown. :-) ) Anyway, we were close to impuse buying (yikes!) but we were hungry, so we went to Scott's Eatery and calmed down over lunch:-)

Any advice?

Thanks!

Payitoff
Print the post Back To Top
Any advice?

Hi! I don't have any advice for you (I'm leaning towards a tent-trailer, myself). But welcome and thanks for de-lurking! Stick around.

HockeyPhool
(scott)
...Hi! I don't have any advice for you (I'm leaning towards a tent-trailer, myself). But welcome and thanks for de-lurking! Stick around....

Hello and Thanks!

We have considered a tent trailer, but like the Class C for many different reasons (spoiled..maybe?). I'm hoping to find a good used deal:-). I'm always afraid of buying a lemon, but learned that even new can be a lemon. That was a hard lesson.

I have seen lots of used pop ups for sale. There were a bunch in the last Thrifty Nickle that I picked up. We have some friends who have a pop up and use it often! They are both teachers and have two children (teens) still at home. They said it's getting a bit cramped now and we were hoping to buy something that would last and have enough room until our boys (6 and 9) are out of high school.

Payitoff
My parents are trying to sell their Pop-up camper /trailer. If you are interested I can get more info from them.

shadow
Yes I am still here
Hi Payitoff,
I live a few miles South of you. I bought a 21' class C many years ago. I got it (at the lady's request) when I was in the HobieCat racing fleet and spent many summer weekends at various resevoirs through out the State. As a family of four, we had been pitching tents while racing in these regattas. I was informed that there was an easier way to enjoy these weekends than striking camp, in the rain, after 5 hours sailing, in the rain. So, she found this RV at a car lot while I was on a business trip. When I got back into town, 'we' drove straight to the car lot, kicked the tires and looked it over (for hours) and closed the deal at 11:pm that evening. I felt ambushed the next morning, but I've had so much fun with it since.

I perfer the shorter length, some camp grounds will restrict access to shorter lengths. It has all the basics, shower, all other plumbing indoors, stove top with oven, generator (which powered a microwave), forced air heat, plenty of water and holding for self contained camping for several days.

With us and the two boys, when they were still boys, we had enough room. As the boys got bigger, things were a little tight if we stayed in side during the day (rain).

Now the boys are gone and I can go camping alone or with one other and it's a perfect size.

My RV was sold new from K&C, but there is no shortage of dealers on the front range. Nolans and Stevenson's have a lot of selection, new and used, where you can get ideas as to what each extra foot in length will get for you and what goodies are available on different models. It's almost live the RV show in Denver.

Happy hunting and let us know what think about what you see. This is a great State for RVing.

David
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=113893

Hi! I'm rosebear and I own a RV, Class A. First, bookmark the above link because all the people on that board either own RVs or are going to buy one.

I will go back and read your post and reply to your questions in another post. I can say now that if you have children you really want a RV that has extra sleeping areas. Class A RVs have a bedroom and a couch that folds out. Once the couch folds out there is no room to move around. Class C RVs have a double sleeping area above the cab and it is perfect for kids.

Let me go read. I'll reply in a bit.

rosebear

ps. CaveGirl referred your question to me
payitoff, I reread your post and it looks like a Class C is what you need. I was going to recommend a travel trailer because they have a master bed plus you can get them with bunk beds for kids. Drawback is you need a truck or heavy van to tow it. And you mentioned you don't want to tow.

Class C are easier to manuever than the larger Class A. They will also use less gas. They even make them with slide outs (part of the living room slides out about 2 feet to give extra room when parked).

Hope this helps. Read the RVing board, lots of good tips there.

Happy travels.

rosebear
......http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=113893
Hi! I'm rosebear and I own a RV, Class A. First, bookmark the above link because all the people on that board either own RVs or are going to buy one......

Hee Hee...Thanks! I posted there, also. In fact, I already contacted a guy in Atlanta about an RV. Too bad he's more than 24 hours away. I was really interested in that RV.

Payitoff
Hmmm...I am not liking this making a decison thing..
Too many choices.
After much thought, I am starting to consider a pop up again.
My thoughts:
1. Initial cost of a used pop up lower.
2. Maintainence cost lower and maintenance easier.
3. Storage of trailer easier and less costly then renting storage
space (I don't know if we need to store a motorhome elsewhere
or not. The farm can get quite dusty at times.).
4. Pick up and go easier (?) (A friend liked the motorhome
because she didn't have to pack and unpack each trip.)
5 .In laws won't want to borrow it and if they did, I might be more
inclined to let them use it since it isn't so costly.
6. We will probably only take one 1 week or 2 week trip a year and
at other times take two and three day trips.
7. Better gas mileage on the suburban towing a trailer than a
motorhome. ( Yes, we have a '96 suburban, and no, it's not for
sale. We appreciate it!)
8. Can unhitch the trailer and drive up to the lake to fish. :-)

My husband's thoughts:

1. We'll enjoy the motorhome more because we can jump in and
go whenever we want.
2. The boys can watch a movie and use the restroom when
needed as we drive.
3. We'll be much safer in the hard sided motorhome.
4. Your parents can sleep in it when they come to visit. (Don't go
there..)
5. If you go without me (pouting), I'll feel that you are safe in a hard
sided motorhome.
6. We could go on a cross country trip and sleep in the Walmart
parking lot comfortably!
7. We really could use that tax right off.
8. Oh, come on, Honey, live a little!!

The children's thoughts:

1. When can we go?
2. I like bunk beds.
3. Buy the brand new one!
4. Ooh...we like all the neat little gadgets!
5. Who cares if there's a queen bed or not, we can sleep in the
twin beds. Oh, that's right, you guys are going with us.
6. Hurry up and buy something will you?
7. Where do we roast the marshmallows?
:-)
Decisions, decisons, decisions
Payitoff
..who is feeling very blessed to even be considering the idea...
The boys can watch a movie and use the restroom when
needed as we drive.

Restroom yes. TV, probably not. Our MH has a cut off so the TV cannot be on while driving.

Ask the RV board.

After much thought, I am starting to consider a pop up again...

Good lists to make. Here are my thoughts:

Re: Safety. Yes, a hard-sided camper feels safer in some conditions. However, you have a higher profile during all your driving time. Also, you can't open a hard sided camper up to the breeze and the night sounds the way you can a pop-up.

Course, that also means you're more exposed to ambient sounds.

Re: 'Pick up and go'. Since you have to open the travel trailer to pack it, you get a good, forced inspection before you go. Growing up, we never scuttled a trip in the pop up, because Dad always knew beforehand whether the trailer was working. But my folks have scuttled several trips at the last minute due to unforseen mechanical failure.

Something you haven't mentioned... with a trailer, you can drop the trailer and have a separate vehicle to drive around in. If you envision driving to a place and staying put, that's not an issue. But if you want to go someplace, set up camp, and then drive into town for a steak or grocery shopping, that's something else.

This summer, I took a pop-up on a trip and was seriously drooling over the campers... but that was really for just one reason: air conditioning. And I know many popups have that available now.

- KK
This summer, I took a pop-up on a trip

KK, did you rent the trailer? If so, from where? I'm pondering the idea of renting one for a trip this summer, and of course I'd like to get a jumpstart off someone else's research. =8^)

HockeyPhool
KK, did you rent the trailer? If so, from where? I'm pondering the idea of renting one for a trip this summer, and of course I'd like to get a jumpstart off someone else's research. =8^)

No, but I would recommend renting one. My dad bought one in the early 80's for family trips. We got a lot of use out of it, and then another opportunity for trips came along, and the pop up fell into disuse. I missed it, and offered to fix it up in exchange for being able to use it, which Dad agreed to.

We did a weekend trip here in CO and that was great. Then we did a week long trip to Michigan, and that was not so great. The problem is, the older trailers used canvas for the tent material. That's just fine here, where things cool off in the evening and you actually start to appreciate a little insulation as the dawn rolls around. But, if you are in a place where it doesn't cool off at night, you really want to use something with the newer ripstop nylon tent material. It maximizes breezes much better.

- KK
"This summer, I took a pop-up on a trip and was seriously drooling over the campers... but that was really for just one reason: air conditioning. And I know many popups have that available now.
- KK"

A friend of mine thinks that the a.c. won't work in the pop-up. He says, "It's a tent, why would the a.c. work?" Any thoughts? :-) I'd like it to work myself. :-)

Payitoff
"...did you rent the trailer? If so, from where? I'm pondering the idea of renting one for a trip this summer, and of course I'd like to get a jumpstart off someone else's research. =8^)..."

HP..I've been looking around. In Loveland they have some popups for rent. I've seen a place called "Nolan's Rental" in Denver, but I don't know if they have popups.

There's a site called http://www.wegocamping.com that says they have a ton of popups in Wheat Ridge. One of my boys and I are thinking about checking them out Saturday. They have a huge showroom, I think. :-) I'm still trying to decide if the popups the way to go. The Fool in me sure is heading that way!

Payitoff

"My parents are trying to sell their Pop-up camper /trailer. If you are interested I can get more info from them.
shadow"

Shadow..I'd like to know a little more info...

Payitoff
There's a site called http://www.wegocamping.com that says they have a ton of popups in Wheat Ridge.

Thanks for the link!

HockeyPhool
A friend of mine thinks that the a.c. won't work in the pop-up. He says, "It's a tent, why would the a.c. work?" Any thoughts? :-) I'd like it to work myself. :-)

I definately saw units on late model Colemans this summer, so I assume they work. Whether they are true AC or evaporative coolers, I don't know.

I know that an AC unit anywhere, any time would blow cool/cold air. And I know from visiting my grandfather's house in Missouri in the summer that sometimes you just need that. He had a window AC unit in one room of the house. It never cooled the whole house, and he never expected it to. It was a refuge, and probably cheaper than standing in front of the fridge.

So, I would guess the AC would work, it just doesn't have an insulated barrier to areas you don't want to cool, so you can't expect to have a cooled, contained area.

Now, an evaporative cooler could work really well in many situations, especially in the west. It needs to not be insulated in, and our arridity works really well with it. But I think in my Michigan experience, it would have been no relief at all. It was 90 degrees and 90+% humidity. (Very unusual for Michigan, btw.)

- KK