Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've long since moved past the original 2005 setup the 24' Keystone trailer came with, use that shelf as storage, I suppose I should make a cabinet for the space, rather than the two bank boxes I keep up there..

So the first flat screen we had flunked on the last SW trip, RV park cable systems had technology past where their adapters could bring it down to my little 20" TV could translate. Gave it away to a garage sale.

So now I bought a nice 32" Samsung Smart TV, surprisingly light, but still if I tried using the old arm, I'd still be fighting to keep it from sagging. I used to have to prop the old one with a plastic cup to keep it up..

So I'm looking for a mounting, on an arm I think, that will support this TV, maybe even let it be removable, which the old one was, but so far I'm not liking what I see..

I may have to create a base for it, but if so, it's possible..

Any recommendations? Sources?

weco
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had the same problem. I tried a swing arm, but it always sagged. I found a flat screen with a DVD player included that almost perfectly fit the cabinet. (It actually overlaps just slightly, with the bulge in the back fitting nicely into the cavity.)

Anyway, I got a fold down TV mount from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Cabinet-Mounting-Monitors-MOUNT-...

Where it wanted to mount was just ceiling insulation, so I mounted a 8"x8"x2" block inside the cabinet, which has a wooden interior which could handle the weight. Then (this gets complicated) I made another block to attach the fold down mount to, and then connected the edges of that to sliding drawer rails. Now the TV sits nicely in the space, to access behind it I pull it forward and it slides out like a kitchen drawer, and if I need even better access, I can swing it up towards the ceiling.

A better solution might have been to get a piano hinge and attach it to the TV frame to it just folds up and down, but I was afraid to drill into the plastic of the frame for fear of puncturing something important inside. Also where the hinge would attach to the ceiling is just that white insulation, so I would have had to make an "extender" piece to bring something more stable out from the "roof" of the cabinet space into the cab space (1/2" ply would have done it) to have something structural to hit. I suppose there's also some plywood above the insulation, but again there's a lot going up there that I don't know about: cables to the rear view camera, to heat & A/C channels, electric lights, etc. and I didn't want to chance hitting something important.

Now I have another cabinet which is not terribly useful (who wants to drag the TV back and forth every time you want to use it?) but it's good for storing "backups" of things like paper towels and coffee filters toilet papers and stuff you only need to get to occasionally.
Ahhh, a thought, TY... A bit lightweight for a 32", but I see this one https://blog.macsales.com/42569-15-macos-keyboard-shortcuts-...
a tad sturdier.

My problem would be the space where the old CRT type TV was to go is too small for a 32". So a ceiling mount in another location is a thought, but the one above os 2", plus another 1.5" for the TV and it becomes a head banger... I'm 6-2, already near the ceiling so it's not for me I guess..

The last one we had, as you noted sagged, so I'm looking for something sturdier, but most likely removable, as much of a PITA that is, we did before, tucking the 20" flat screen into the fold down bed for travel time..

The space on a bathroom wall, at 29" matches the 32" width OK, so maybe just find a better removable mount.. let it overhang a few inches..

Play my cards right I may be able to imply that 32" as a monitor when we're not traveling.. Double duty...

weco
If you can find a flat screen that's the same width as the cabinet, just plunk it down right in front of the cabinet. The one I found had a protrusion at the rear of the screen to accomodate the built-in DVD player but it fit inside the cavity shell of the cabinet just fine. After that it was just about figuring out how to anchor the whole thing in place.

The dimensions of a flat screen are different than the old CRT. The picture is actually a bit wider because there's no wood cabinet "mask" to hold it in place and the edge mask is smaller for the flat screen than it was for the CRT. But the new one is also shorter, so I had to build a hinged flap at the bottom which allows quick access to the space, which is where I store stuff like an iPod, earphones, etc. The paper towel and toilet paper stash resides all the way at the back of the cabinet. I was able to stain the flap to match the rest of the cabinetry so it looks like it belongs. Only trouble is when in the "open" position it juts out a couple inches into the entryway, so you have to leave it closed at all times. (The original design had the TV centered between the driver and passenger chairs and already jutted out some. I eventually put a "kid corner pad" on the lower corner because people kept smacking their heads into it! Poor design from Newmar but then TV sets were much larger 20 years ago.)
I made a run to Best Buy just now, they had this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-MF215-B1-Extending-Discontinued...
for the same as online pricing, pretty solid, heavy, should be fine, just have to be sure the wall bracket is solidly mounted.. It does let me lift the TV off for travel, so here comes the next project!

Yes, I can make the old CRT TV space into a cabinet, pretty basic, I do have all the TV interconnects in that space, not sure if I can extend or relocate then, so maybe have to resort to some sort of wiremold type channel over to where it's needed.. We also use the 12V outlet for charging iPhones, etc... So additional challenges to come...

In the meantime, BIL is going to be with us a while, so priorities shift. Will attempt to locate fire damaged bronze art pieces, computer Has tomorrow... No rest!
Oh, already bought the 32" Samsung flat screen, too big for the old CRT area..