Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
RV:"<<Be aware that here in Vermont, if you own a home here AND elsewhere, so this is your second home, your tax rate here will be 50% higher! Yup.>>"

Yup, my sister gets screwed on the NY house, which happens to sit right on Lake George. It's her second home

In TX, for those over 65 or disabled, you get a $40,000 property tax exemption.

If it is your primary residence, you get a 20% reduction in the 'appraised value' as a Primary Homeowner Exemption.

If you are over 65, your 'school part of ' taxes are frozen at the level they were when you turned 65. They are most of your tax bill.

If I just bought my house now at age 73 and it was a second home, my taxes would likely be 50% higher. Maybe even more.

In the past few years, my taxes have actually gone DOWN since Toyota built a billion dollars worth of taxable real estate here.......A few hundred bucks.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.