No. of Recommendations: 1
My reasons for retiring well on small budget have actually evolved over the years. Back in the early 00's I was an early retiree in my 40s. Since I was decades away from Social security or pension income. So I had to make do small withdrawals from savings to cover living expenses. But even then I enjoyed the challenge to frugally live a rich life.

When I retire again, I'll be in early 60's; and definetly will be in position to spend more than I did as an early retiree.
But probably won't because

1) I'm in the habit of being frugal.
Most of my pastimes are low cost or free.

2) As I get older I have less and less desire to spend big $$ to maintain my appearance. Take for example hair styling.
I have happen to have curly hair and used to get the fancy keratin treatments which gave me smooth straight hair at a cost($400 once a quarter). And I would also get partial highlights -- $200 once a quarter. I've given all that up and now just get occasional hair cut.

3)I am ecologically responsible and try not to be wasteful.

Currently driving 13 y/o car which I intend to wear out before I replace it. Leverage thrift and consignment stores for my clothing.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.