Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey All:

I know this board is pretty much dead, but I just had to write. I spoke with one of my friends who is still at AMS and it is surprising to hear what that company has turned into. I was employed at AMS for almost 8 year and left in 2000 to pursue a career at a great dot com (Motley Fool of course).

It is so sad to hear what has happened at AMS. To paraphrase a comment on Yahoo's AMS board, "You shouldn't mess with the DNA of a company". AMS was a great company to work for, everyone was young, worked long hours, but had a lot of fun and had great friends. It appears that AMS has turned into a company where it is all about numbers and you are in constant jeapardy of loosing your job, moreso legends like Bill Yoder are let go because "they have lost their utility and value with the company". How has a great company turned into a company where HR is now refered to a the Resource Management Group and the CEO says that any job that does not require a clearance shall be sent to India? What happened to the 'Wiz Kids of the Pentagon'? Why is it that managers are constantly being told "We need to make numbers so you have to make a choice of which 3-4 people you need to lay off in your RC so you can make numbers"? Why is it that if you are on the bench for any more than 5 days that you are laid off because you "obviously are not useful to anyone in our organization" and the CEO says he cannot keep you between projects for more than 5 days because "he owe's it to the shareholders".

How sad. How very sad. It is like looking upon a house that you grew up in or perhaps your college fraternity and seeing it in shambles and realizing the current occupants have gone astray.

Does anyone else have any comments on AMS as a former employee? I used to be a stockholder and I can tell you this, besides the stock being a dog for years and has long left my portfolio, just learning the way they treat their employees and run their organization would make me drop this stock. Perhaps in the sense of something I have read many times at the Fool, you can be an ethical investor and you don't have to invest in a company if you don't believe in their vision.

Or maybe perhaps I am just living in the past and should get over it. I know this though, living in the present I will not invest in such a company and will work within my powers to make sure that my current clients also steer clear of AMS (I don't mean to hurt those still at AMS by doing this, but if you don't believe in the philosophy of a company don't use em).

Ok, enough of my venting. I just find it sad that a company that had such potential, great resources, and was the best of the big consulting firms to work for has turned into what it is today. For those thinking in just dollars and sense, if this strategy is supposedly working so well, why is the stock still doing so poorly?

-Jason
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.