Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We retired 3 years ago and this is the first year I am doing our federal tax return myself. We do not have a state income tax.

I'm am trying to determine our safe harbor amount for estimated payments for 2010. In the past our tax preparer told us how much to send in quarterly. Our gross income is under $100K so I think we just need to pay 100% of the tax that is due for 2009. However, I started thinking about the self employed tax that DH has to pay on his part-time consulting.

He may have about 10-15% more income for 2010 than he did in 2009. Do I have to pay more than 100% of the 2009 tax to avoid a penalty because we may owe more employment taxes for 2010?

Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.