Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Now, Oct 2,2012, I see that 10 vice presidents have SALES registered with the SEC.

What's up?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm in Australia and notice that ADM is buying GrainCorp. This seems like an opportunity for ADM to crack the Asian market as well as have a major presence in Australia. News is that they are cutting major jobs in the US to take the bloat out of this company. That's why I tagged along on this unresponded to post.

A bad quarter six days ago and really a bad ten years when you compare them with say a MONsanto or others. Not a bad dividend and they did well during the 2008 recession.

Any feel for the possibility of some earnings growth over the next five years or so?

Bob
RYR Home Fool
Of course they are commodity grain traders and the leading producer of ethanol.

I would think abundant grain harvest in the US would be good for them, but the drought last year probably limits availability and hence volume until at least the early wheat crop comes in. They could do well this fall, but that may all be factored in already.

Not a growth company. Cyclical. Buy when you expect recovery.
Hey Paul !

Being a farmer (as you know) and living a scant 150 miles from Decatur, I bought my first couple of hundred shares for $8.88 per share ... Buy when you expect recovery. ... and I haven't recovered yet ! Even though ADM is a cyclical, it has rather stagnated in the $30-40 range where most of my shares are. I shoulda hocked the whole farm at that original price ... but who was to know back then what we know now.

I'm sure not worried about them. Woertz and company know what they are doing. I've not met her yet.

Rich (haywool)

Finished planting corn and starting beans.
Hey Rich. Glad to hear you got your corn planted. Well on the way to knee high by the fourth of July.

We had some 90 deg weather here and the trees were showing the white of their leaves. A good sign of heat stress and conserving moisture.

The dry spell did not last long, but I know farmers found it too wet to get in the fields for quite a while. So I'll bet there was lots of planting last week. I did get my garden planted.

But now we have the Oklahoma tornado storm headed our way.
1. Both of you be careful! The tornado(s) is the major news story in Australia. Paul, you missed SuperStorm Sandy so don't go messing with no tornadoes. In our Nebraska days we just missed a huge one in Grand Island. DW was to spend the night in GI, but the farmers wouldn't come out of the fields to do the diabetes testing she was doing so she headed to Lincoln. The destruction of her hotel was a top photo-op for the GI TV stations.

2. The GrainCorp acquisition also has the advantage of perhaps not having two droughts simultaneously on both sides of the equator. Of course it could happen.

3. Part of what interests me is that ADM fell less in 2008 and I think this market euphoria has to end sometime.

BEST to you both!

Bob
RYR Home Fool
Its rumored that Hockeypop added ADM to his CAPs portfolio yesterday.

http://caps.fool.com/player/tmfhockeypop.aspx
Added it but not purchased, yet. Still in Australia.

If you look at my score, perhaps fortunately, A LOT goes on CAPS that I don't buy. In fact, sometimes I tend to buy my largest losers. And in others, I bought Sears and Radio Shack BONDS not the stock and that has done VERY well. I actually like CAPS a lot for my personality.

Hope all are well!!!!

Hockeypop
Well, and how is the trading Down Under?

We look forward to a detailed trip report on the travel board.

Are there any sheep down there? Kangeroos?
I'll give the entire trip a fabulous report. From a stock point of view besides ADM buying GrainCorp, Ford today announced closing all its plants ending about 10,000 jobs. They said it was 4 times more costly than cars built in Europe, and 10 times more than Asia. Things really ARE more expensive here. I figure most cars are about 25-30% more with the AUS$ about at parity with the ours. Food and gasoline are all about the same percentage higher or more.

bob