Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Everyone,

I have no idea whether this is the right board to ask this question but an answer would be most welcome if anyone knows.

If one buys a car from Out-of-State, to be registered in another State, is sales tax still to be paid? If so, is it paid to the State where the puchase is made, or does one's own State levy the tax upon it being registered?

Since I'm a foreigner here, I have no idea of the rules and regulations, therefore I'd appreciate your help with this.

Thanks for any replies.

Regards, Shelley
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1

If one buys a car from Out-of-State, to be registered in another State, is sales tax still to be paid? If so, is it paid to the State where
the puchase is made, or does one's own State levy the tax upon it being registered?

Since I'm a foreigner here, I have no idea of the rules and regulations, therefore I'd appreciate your help with this.

Thanks for any replies.

pretty sure it depends on the states....

if you say where you're buying and where you're registering...
someone here will know.

(pretty sure Calif. wants tax when you register.... )

-j
No. of Recommendations: 1
The tax is technically paid when you license the vehicle in the state where you live. Laws vary from state to state so it would be best to contact your Department of Motor Vehicles. Dealers in "border towns" are quite adept at handling these matters.

SB
Thank you SB & 0x6a74 for both of your prompt replies.

I am thinking of purchasing a vehicle from Georgia, but I live in North Carolina.

I shall make contact with the DMV as you suggest as I'm sure they will know the laws/rules concerning this matter.

Many thanks once again for your help and advice.

Regards, Shelley

If one buys a car from Out-of-State, to be registered in another State, is sales tax still to be paid? If so, is it paid to the State where the puchase is made, or does one's own State levy the tax upon it being registered?

You've already gotten good advice regarding boarder dealers and the DMV. Out west, you pay the sales tax in the jurisdiction where the car is purchased and get credit for that amount where you register it.

john