Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We have a salvage store in the “Village” (only 4.7 miles by road from our palatial estate) that I usually visit 4 or 3 times a week. Among other things, they have fresh meats for sale. I liked to check them out on Monday mornings when they open at 0830 hours. Prior to the pandemic, there were usually 5 or 4 of us “vultures” digging through their meats that they discounted after the weekend. I, especially, liked the flank steak that was discounted to $1.00/pound for fajita meat. They also had Pepperidge Farms breads for $1.00/loaf, which was near its “Best By” date (DW likes the “Swirl bread for toast. I likes the rye bread, me). I has 3 bills to mail along with a check to cash so Tuesday I made a grocery run.

I dropped the mail off at the post office, checked the salvage store and picked up some broccoli (4-12 ounce heads for a buck) and, where the bread usually was, found the space filled with Elmer’s Candy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Candy_Corporation). They had 4-packs of the candy on sale for $1.50 (its $3.99 at Wal-Mart), however, they had singles of most of the candy at the registers for $0.25 each (???), so I picked up four of the different “eggs” for a buck and then proceeded to the bank, our local IGA supermarket and down the road to Wal-Mart, Lowe’s, the pool store, etc., etc. I’ll hafta return some stuff at Lowe’s and the pool store today or tomorrow and pick up some fresh oysters & catfish at Rouse’s Supermarket.
;-)

C.J.V. - the salvage store gots some great bargains if one knows what not to buy, yes
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.