Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We have a salvage store in the “Village” (only 4.7 miles by road from our palatial estate) that I usually visit 4 or 3 times a week. Among other things, they have fresh meats for sale. I liked to check them out on Monday mornings when they open at 0830 hours. Prior to the pandemic, there were usually 5 or 4 of us “vultures” digging through their meats that they discounted after the weekend. I, especially, liked the flank steak that was discounted to $1.00/pound for fajita meat. They also had Pepperidge Farms breads for $1.00/loaf, which was near its “Best By” date (DW likes the “Swirl bread for toast. I likes the rye bread, me). I has 3 bills to mail along with a check to cash so Tuesday I made a grocery run.

I dropped the mail off at the post office, checked the salvage store and picked up some broccoli (4-12 ounce heads for a buck) and, where the bread usually was, found the space filled with Elmer’s Candy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Candy_Corporation). They had 4-packs of the candy on sale for $1.50 (its $3.99 at Wal-Mart), however, they had singles of most of the candy at the registers for $0.25 each (???), so I picked up four of the different “eggs” for a buck and then proceeded to the bank, our local IGA supermarket and down the road to Wal-Mart, Lowe’s, the pool store, etc., etc. I’ll hafta return some stuff at Lowe’s and the pool store today or tomorrow and pick up some fresh oysters & catfish at Rouse’s Supermarket.
;-)

C.J.V. - the salvage store gots some great bargains if one knows what not to buy, yes
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I usually visit 4 or 3 times a week

No social distancing in your world?
No. of Recommendations: 1
“I usually visit 4 or 3 times a week”

No social distancing in your world?

Sure is. IF I can get there when they open, there are only 4 or 3 of us in the store (after 0900 hours and on weekends I won’t even go in, no). I usually just walk in, walk around the store and walk out. If there are things I need/want, I’ll put on the gloves & mask (got 4 or 3 boxes of gloves for uprooting poison ivy, working on machinery, with chemicals, etc.), get a cart and then go back in and shop.

You may be in an area where you can call the local Wal-Mart/supermarket, etc. and get your groceries meds, etc. delivered but we are not (Pizza Man don’t deliver here, no!!!). When we have to have an appliance repaired, we have to tell the repair man how to find us. If something breaks, I can usually fix it if I can get the parts, locally. If not, I can order them online and, hopefully, get them a week or three later (the parts needed to fix my chipper/shredder that died two weeks ago are scheduled to be delivered next Monday).

We usually make a list of stuff needed around the house and, when enough stuff is on the list or I have an emergency item we need, I’ll make a run and stop in the salvage store since it is usually on my way to the gas station, bank, post office, hardware/auto store, etc., etc., etc.
;-)

C.J.V. - had atomic, biological & chemical training back in 1960 so I know a bit about how not to pass on contamination, me
;-)