Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Kingran!

I watched it live this morning on CNBC. Interesting, and unlike Kevin O'Leary, he doesn't think the harm to non-mall retail or offices is permanent. He seemed noncommittal on malls though.

Your read, Kingran?

David
I am wondering in communities that have failed malls, where will the more successful businesses from those malls go?

While Sears and JCP will probably just fade away there are some legitimate businesses in those malls, just not enough of them.

Where will they go? One reason that I like the grocery based shopping centers as I think they could benefit, just a little from the problems of many malls.
No. of Recommendations: 2
One reason that I like the grocery based shopping centers as I think they could benefit, just a little from the problems of many malls.

It certainly seems intuitive that former solid mall tenants would relocate to the strip shopping centers owned by the likes of BRX and KIM.

David
Long BRX and KIM
No. of Recommendations: 1
there are some legitimate businesses in those malls...

Examples, please?

I can think of a few--e.g., Disney Stores, Apple, Pottery Barn. Offhand, they don't seem like a good fit to a strip mall anchored by a Kroger or a Dollar Tree.
No. of Recommendations: 1
We are not talking about A malls here. Near me there are two malls, one I would consider B the other C. When built, by the same developer, they were equal, but one area has performed better economically.

They both have sporting oriented stores - 2 Finish Lines, 2 Champs and a local outdoor equipment store.

They both have mid-priced clothing stores line Rue 21 (2), Forever 21 and a few others. Gone are the Gaps.

They both have personal care stores like Bed Bath & Beyonds or GNCs.

I would not describe the average Kimco or Weingarten properties as strip malls, while they have a few of those, most have moved up a notch.
I am wondering in communities that have failed malls, where will the more successful businesses from those malls go?

The USA has more retail than any other part of the world. So clearly some retail business has to go away, some will go to e-commerce and only some will migrate.

Personally, this is my individual opinion, I wish the USA reduces its retail footprint by 20%, I think the country is suffering from excessive consumption.