Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Good Day Fools,

I would love to have you critique the following situation:

My neighbor is an eighty-something widow. At dinner with us a few months ago, she mentioned that she had become alarmed that her savings were disappearing too fast. I recommended that she contact a Financial Advisor. I gave her two names and numbers. I did not realize, at the time, that she suffered from Panic Attacks, and, would never make the call. We found out a month later, that she had done nothing.

I am trying to be a "Good Samaritan" ( with all due respect to “due diligence”) for this dear lady.
She shared her income and expense records. Before any changes, she was about $4,000 a year short of what she needed. We found about $200,000 in a Savings account in a well known bank that was yielding 1.4% per year.
She agreed to open an account with Vanguard. There she bought into Intermediate Treasuries and GNMA, one half or $100,000 in each. Yielding a little over 6% before taxes, the income more than covers her shortfall.
My question to the FOOLS is what might we do with the excess to help with possible growth, and,any future inflation ?

Regards and Thankyou for any comment.
Phil Maillie
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.