Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I went to Sam's Club today to join in my quest for tires and Nutella. So Aruba, here are my questions for you :

How do you get out without buying a case of Snapple ? Oh, you buy it ?

So how do you avoid buying the frozen cheesecake ? You buy that too ?

How about the latest bestseller ? Bought that,too?

So how do you save moeny there ?

Jacki

only posting to help SOS, of course.
Print the post Back To Top
I went to Sam's Club today to join in my quest for tires and Nutella. So Aruba, here are my questions for you :
How do you get out without buying a case of Snapple ? Oh, you buy it ?
So how do you avoid buying the frozen cheesecake ? You buy that too ?
How about the latest bestseller ? Bought that,too?

So how do you save moeny there ?

Well, Jacki...

To be honest, I had to seriously change the way I do my warehouse club shopping. Being an impulse buyer by nature (oh, you know me well!), I used to find myself throwing everything in the cart. I'd have gone in for one or two things, and then the joke would be how you can't get out of there for under $100.

Now, I make it a point to only go for the specific things I need. I carry a list, and I don't deviate.

So far, it's worked. And get this...

(you'll be so proud)

I not only haven't bought a dehydrator, but I don't even want one anymore!

Go figure. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
My wife likes to save money on things more than anything. But Sam's Club is saving us right into the poor house. We can't seem to get out of there for less than $300, unless I go in alone with a specific shopping list.

For Mac users: Have you seen any Mac software at Sam's? We have two stores in the area, and different things are offered at the two stores, but I've never seen Mac software. By the way, Tony, do you still like that Mac clone you got last year?

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk
For Mac users: Have you seen any Mac software at Sam's? We have two stores in the area, and different things are offered at the two stores, but I've never seen Mac software. By the way, Tony, do you still like that Mac clone you got last year?

Hi Dr. J!

I sure do still have my PowerTower and I still love it. LOL, remember when I got it, it was state of the art? Then, within a few months, the G3's came out. Oh well.

As far as software, I find the same problem as you with Costco. Everything (almost) is PC, but to be honest, if there's anything I want, I just order it from one of the Mac catalogues.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
My goal, my talisman, my Nirvana, etc.: To get out of Sam's, Home Depot, and CompUSA for less than $50 :) I'd probably have millions in the bank by now if these three stores had never been built :)

Jeff
My goal, my talisman, my Nirvana, etc.: To get out of Sam's, Home Depot, and CompUSA for less than $50 :) I'd
probably have millions in the bank by now if these three stores had never been built :)<?i>

Jeff,

Simple. Just don't go! : )

Or, if there's a particular item you want, ask a friend to pick it up for ya.

See? I have all the answers. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Okay, let's try that again with the right formatting! (Heck, it gave me an excuse to make message #500, and rack up another 2 cents.)

; )

My goal, my talisman, my Nirvana, etc.: To get out of Sam's, Home Depot, and CompUSA for less than $50 :) I'd
probably have millions in the bank by now if these three stores had never been built :)

Jeff,

Or, if there's a particular item you want, ask a friend to pick it up for ya.

See? I have all the answers. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Tony,

Haven't you seen Star Wars? Those stores somehow perfected the Death Star's tractor beam--I try to drive by at full thrust, but somehow don't make it past :)

Saw a promo for the new Star Wars movie that doesn't begin until MAY!!! They're going to torture me for 6 whole months ???!!!

Arrgh!

Jeff
Sorry guys I never really caught on with the wharehouse store craze yet. I've had a membership with Costco for the past year and I barely used it. I can get better bargains at the grocery store. If you really price the items out, I don't think you're saving too much. Most people see a HUGE item for what they think is a reasonable price, but it actuality it really isn't. It's all about perception and these stores have the market cornered. So next time you go just price stuff out and tell me if I'm wrong.
<<So next time you go just price stuff out and tell me if I'm wrong. >>

Okay, you're wrong ;) The one item that makes it worth my while is a $1 a gallon savings on milk. My years of shopping experience give me a pricebook in my head and there were things I did not buy(notably soda and spagettios) that I know I can get cheaper on sale at the grocery stores. If you don't know the sale prices of items you regularly buy, you probably are paying too much for about 1/2 the items at a warehouse club.

This is why I never bothered until I stopped working. Now I have time to go shopping at more than one place.(I'm also planning to save on the stupid tires that I'll probably buy next week:0

Jacki

(honestly, I was looking for industrial sized Nutella which they didn't have but I bought a similar product to try)

Saw a promo for the new Star Wars movie that doesn't begin until MAY!!! They're going to torture me for 6 whole months ???!!!

Arrgh!

Jeff

But the new Star Trek comes out next month!

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

Jeff,

I can't remember which board I had posted it, but there are many people who are paying movie prices just to go in to see the trailer for that. Then, after the trailer, they leave.

Talk about fanatics! ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I can get better bargains at the grocery store. If you really price the items out, I don't think you're
saving too much. Most people see a HUGE item for what they think is a reasonable price, but it actuality it really isn't.

Serik,

It really depends on what items you want. Certainly, it's not going to replace grocery shopping, but on certain things the savings can be quite good.

I've done very well on things like tires for my car, and books that I wanted to pick up. You really have to know your prices and stick to what you need.

If you aren't careful, then I agree. It can do more harm than good. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Serik says :
<<I can get better bargains at the grocery store. If you really price the items out, I don't think you're
saving too much. Most people see a HUGE item for what they think is a reasonable price, but it actuality it really isn't.>>

And Tony says:

<<It really depends on what items you want. Certainly, it's not going to replace grocery shopping, but on certain things the savings can be quite good.

I've done very well on things like tires for my car, and books that I wanted to pick up. You really have to know your prices and stick to what you need.

If you aren't careful, then I agree. It can do more harm than good. : )>>

I think you are both right. I went to Sam's for the first time in about 10 years last weekend. I didn't buy a thing. I did get out a notebook and jot down the prices I saw on the things I normally buy, and the sizes, so I could compare them to what I bought at home.

Bottom line: I found I could save on some things, but not all. Milk was about .50 less a gallon, but that isn't enough to make it worth the trip across town for me. I think what I may do is shop there every 2-3 months and stock up on the bargins.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
I think what I may do is shop there every 2-3 months and stock up on the bargins.

Hunzi,

This is precisely what I do. I make it a point that I just don't go often.

Believe me, that really helps. ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Jeff,
Like you I am going to be anxiously awaiting the prequels! I saw on the news taht people were willing to wait in line and pay the $9 admiison price just for the 2.5 minute trailer!

Fool on!

racerboy
Hey serik!
How have you been?
I agree with you about the warehouse bargains. Sort of. I think it depends on how many you are buying for.

I had a membership with a nearby Costco, but I have lived by myself for the past twelve years and just couldn't see buying two lb. of Cheerios just because it would've saved ma a $1 or so.

Jacki states that she has enjoyed success using the bargains they offer, but she is also responsible for a bigger family than me (I don't know what your familial situation is, but even now that I am married I still rarely visit Costco.)

Fool on!

racerboy :o)
Anyone who saw the trailer for "Citizen Kane", I am going to be villainous and tell you that Rosebud was his sleigh.
I saw on the news taht people were willing to wait in line and pay the $9 admiison price just for the 2.5 minute trailer!

Racerboy-

I saw it yesterday when we went to see It's A Bug's Life. Looks great. Typical Lucas.

IABL was great too. I love how the animated effects have gotten so much better. For example the bird. Check out the bird.

Have missed you on the boards lately. Does this have to do with school? You are just going to have to study a little bit less.

Disney Dan
Gee, Tony, I thought this board was a "ride" like "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- but I have yet to find the little boats in the water so I can board. ; )

I went to Sam's Club today to buy some holiday giftees for the nieces, nephews and cousins -- got out with only $200 damage.

I knew we were in trouble when we began throwing toys in our cart for children we didn't even know! (And I don't mean Toys for Tots -- but that would've been a great idea.)

Anyway, we love Sam's .... although I think BJ's has a better selection.

Happy Holidays!!!!!

Barbara

Have missed you on the boards lately. Does this have to do with school? You are just going to have to study a little bit less

Hey Dan!!
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I was pretty locked up with the whole "study for the LSAT" routine and then go through the rigmarole of applying to the different law schools. Now I get to enjoy the "sit back and wait for the results" routine.

It sure feels good to be back at the Fool. Kind of like coming home.

racerboy
Wouldn't ya know it as soon as I posted that remark I make a trip to Costco, which I am a member, and I see bargains galore. I guess someone wanted my foot to be inserted in my mouth.
Anyway, we love Sam's .... although I think BJ's has a better selection.

Barb,

That may be true, and I've never compared BJ's/Sam's/Costco, but I think with the cost of membership, most people can only afford to belong to one--if they choose to belong to any.

Costco is very close to home for me, so that's my choice. I couldn't imagine having to travel far to visit a warehouse club.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
racerboy wrote:
Yeah, I was pretty locked up with the whole "study for the LSAT" routine and then go through the rigmarole of applying to the different law schools.

What schools are you looking at? When I was applying for grad school in the early 80's, I had a list of about 50 schools, rank ordered. I started at the top and applied to as many as I could afford application fees, GRE reports, transcripts, etc. It was running anywhere from $35 to $75, mostly depending on the application fee.

Good luck!

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk
What schools are you looking at?

Hey DrJ!
I have eight schools that are in my immediate vicinity that offer evening programs. The application costs run around $60 per school. I have received confirmation from four of the schools that they have received my application an, that it is complete and ready for review. I don't expect any acceptance/denial letters until next year sometime.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck!

Fool on!
racerboy
No. of Recommendations: 1
In general, Sam's Club saves us quite a bit. You have to have a general idea of grocery-store costs in a per-ounce or per-serving size; a lot of things really are cheaper in the grocery store (especially soda).

Milk, eggs, cheese and software are a lot cheaper at Sam's. We don't often use 18 eggs in a short amount of time, though.

A 50-pound bag of bread flour at Sam's Club is $4.25. A 5-pound bag of bread flour at the grocery store is $3.39. HUGE savings on flour, rice, yeast, etc - but in huge quantities. I keep the extra in the freezer.

Shaniqua
This two cents deal is great. It gives me an excuse to post and agree with everyone.

I go to BJs only about every 6-8 weeks. I don't have a membership, I just go with other people. (Last time the person we went with said he wanted me to come so that I could tell him which things were a good buy.)

Some items I prefer the convenience of buying in the very large size - shampoo, ibuprofen, vanilla, soy sauce, dishwasher detergent, canned tomatoes (when I'm cooking for 30).

Some items are so much cheaper your head spins. 2 pounds of instant yeast costs the same as 4oz at the grocery store. (The bulk yeast needs more tlc once opened.)

-Megan
I go to BJ's for videos and CDs. I have a membership (currently lapsed) but also have friends with a membership so next time I will probably go with them. I find that the videos are cheaper even than the PX (which does not charge sales tax and which advertises that if you find an item cheaper at a local store bring in the ad and they will match it) and when I brought it to the PX manager's attention he said, "We can't match the prices at private membership clubs." Why the heck not? They have one of the largest private memberships in the world!

Anyway, I digress. I have also bought gifts there and books, and they have good prices around the holidays on gifty things like variety boxes of teas packed with cups, gourmet coffees, etc. I've even bought jewelry and computer supplies there.

I LOVE BJ's and Sam's, but haven't been to a Sam's since I left the Ozarks. Pity. We used to get some really great deals there, too (and I did know the prices!).

mys