No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone been to the San Diego Wildlife Park? They offer several "safaris" on top of their general admission. Wondering if any are worth the added cost (and if so, which one is the coolest)?

TIA,
1poorguy

http://www.sdzsafaripark.org/planyourtrip/map.html
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I was on business travel to San Diego (from Dallas) for literally 4 months last year (flew back and forth weekly)....suffered heart failure while doing so towards the end (no joke).

Well I also visited the famed San Diego Zoo. I had heard all my life what a great zoo it was. Best in the nation, I heard. My thought all the time, even as a kid, was....man, how great can a zoo be? I finally visited it last May/June (2011)...it was nice. Yes, nicest zoo I ever visited. Nice exhibits and landscaping (a BUNCH of uphill/downhill walking folks). But was it "spectacular" or "gradiose"?? Hec no!!! It's ONLY a freakin' zoo people. How much more spectacular or exciting can they make a bored lion or elephant look?? Do they feed monkey and gorillas amphetamines to jump more crazily so you can witness their athleticism?

Of course not. It's basically slightly better landscaping with more animals....but after all, it's only just a zoo. Don't go in with huge expectations....you'll be disappointed. It's a great zoo...but alas, only a zoo.
I have this discussion with traveling companions all the time. If you have seen one zoo (science museum, aquarium, etc, etc) you have seen them all. They all have the same animals/exhibits. The environment and cages may vary, but most are similar.

A few zoos--and San Diego may be one of them--are some of the finest in the US. But to appreciate the differences you probably have to be a zoo expert.

So make the visit only if there is something outstanding and unique compared to the others. Animals not seen any where else. Local species. etc etc.

The safari park I went through (at Six Flags in NJ) was fun. You could roll down the windows and some were feeding and petting the animals. The monkeys swarmed over the car and left muddy footprints.

When traveling, I prefer to spend time at places that are unique to the area. I can visit the cookie cutters at home.
Yes, I'm referring to the Safari Park. Been to the zoo, and it's not much (as a visitor...I hear what sets it apart is how the animals are treated). But maybe the Safari Park isn't much more either. Dunno. That's why I asked.

I have dim memories of "Lion Country Safari" when I was very young. It was the coolest thing (to me at the time). Keep the windows up so the predators don't climb inside with you as you drive through the place. Several years ago in Thailand we went to "Safari World" (same setup as LCS), and it was really nice too.
I had a friend suggest the Disney Safari. She went and said it was worth every dollar she spent (I thought she said $150, but this article says $189.) I just didn't have time when I was in Orlando in September, but I will do this.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/03/14/wild-africa-trek-at-a...

Bob
TMF Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 1
We went this summer and bought the 'Caravan Safari'. It's a stake bed truck that drives through the fields of grazers and makes stops so you can hand feed them from the truck. It's the most affordable of the tours that lets you get within touching distance of the big animals.

Is it worth the xtra $$ ? Well, if you want to hand feed giraffes and rhinos, this is probably the only way it'll happen for you.

DW bought a membership in advance - said it lowered the overall cost of our 'adventure.'

http://sandiegozoo77.reachlocal.net/site/PageNavigator/Membe...
Anyone been to the San Diego Wildlife Park? They offer several "safaris" on top of their general admission. Wondering if any are worth the added cost (and if so, which one is the coolest)?

I've been to the Safari Park (nee Wild Animal Park) a few times, but have never done any of the safaris. That said, I have seen people on them and they look super cool. They definitely get right up close to the animals in the huge habitat, whereas the regular tour trolleys just go around the outside.