Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
The City of San Jose has taken the first step towards adopting an ordinance that would require gun owners to obtain insurance and pay an annual fee, with the proceeds of the fee going towards efforts to reduce gun harm.

This city voted Tuesday night to require gun owners to carry liability insurance and pay an annual fee, in what's believed to be the first measure of its kind in the United States.

The San Jose City Council overwhelmingly approved the measure despite opposition from gun owners who said it would violate their Second Amendment rights and promised to sue.

The Silicon Valley city of about 1 million followed a trend of other Democratic-led cities that have sought to rein in violence through stricter rules. But while similar laws have been proposed, San Jose is the first city to pass one, according to Brady United, a national nonprofit that advocates against gun violence.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-jose-gun-law-insurance-annu...

We've talked about the insurance proposal from time to time on this board. Advocates have suggested that the insurance requirement might dissuade gun ownership, or force owners to practice more gun safety (such as trigger locks or safes) to get their insurance costs down. While that's possible in theory, this ordinance is unlikely to do either of those things. The ordinance only covers accidental or negligent damages and doesn't include a minimum amount of coverage, so there's not likely to be much actual premium cost for coverage to homeowners.

In fact, reading the ordinance, I think the most likely significant outcome will have nothing to do with firearms or firearms safety (assuming that it survives legal challenges and that people actually bother to comply with it, neither of which is assured). The biggest impact will be on renter's insurance. Nearly all homeowners have homeowners' insurance, so they won't have to do much (if at all). But most renters don't have renters insurance. So it's unlikely that gun owners will do anything different with their guns, but you might see an increase in the number of renters who have renters' insurance.

https://sanjose.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=10408009&a...

Albaby
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
All this will do IMO - is hlep gun lobbies raise money.

Also I'm nowhere near Albany's knowledge but I wonder -is it even constitutional to tax a constitutional right?

Sadly, it's a combination of bad culture, horrible messages from surroundings - tv, movies, socials, music, economic stresses, dysfunction that will keep causing shootings. An evil nut job bent on killing people and then killing himself isn't gonna say "oh, cool. I got insurance now. Now society won't bear the costs. I better not do this". "Oh no there's a tax. I'm not buying a gun to kill people and broadcast it on Facebook. I'm going to the library to read Highlights magazine instead".

So insurance companies make a few bucks. Ok what a reform.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I wonder -is it even constitutional to tax a constitutional right?

Isn't your private property protected in the Constitution?
Fire Insurance?
I wonder -is it even constitutional to tax a constitutional right?

Isn't your private property protected in the Constitution?
Fire Insurance?

+++++++++++++++++

Ownership rights, yes.

Fire, flood damage and such, NO.

ww
Hi Bones, as I said I'm not sure so you maybe right.

But is insurance mandated by lenders, or the government? If someone doesn't carry a mortgage on a house - does he still have to own insurance? Government makes people have car insurance, yes - but I'm not sure a car is a constitutional right - sort of like flying - don't like the mask? Don't fly - it's not your right in the first place.

But -- back to results. Something that very few care about.

If someone intends to carry out a mass shooting, "livestream it on FacebooK" - you know, great stuff from today's Digitalized Humanity Culture...... would having to buy an insurance policy - stop him? Is he gonna say "darnit I dont wanna call Geico. Instead of shooting my co-workers I'm gonna go swimming". I doubt it. Furthermore, the "war on drugs" says drugs are illegal yet people get them. Ditto guns even to skirt an insurance requirement.

These measures will not save one life. All they will do is give impetus to Conservative radio hosts and gun lobbies to shout "gun grab" and raise money - and keep the flock voting.
No. of Recommendations: 0
As predicted - these measures won't save a life, and will give impetus to the gun lobbies and activists to raise money and get out the vote.

It already started.

Yet another time - Progressives burn political capital - for nothing but emotion and vanity.

https://www.aol.com/finance/gun-rights-group-sues-california...