Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am interested in the possibility of SanDisk as a candidate Gorilla but am having a hard time getting data. Their flash memory products are gouped with memory storage devices which includes disk drive mfgrs like Seagate, etc. This tends to obscure SNDK's real share of the burgeoning flashdisk market. Any sources for data to answer the following questions would be appreciated:1. What share of the CompactFlash market does SNDK currently have? 2. Who are the competiton?(Lexar Media,SSTI are two I know of) 3. How much of a threat are the competing flash card technologies such as SmartMedia (Microtek Intl, Peripheral Enhancements and others) or Sony's Memory Stick? 4. What about Samsung and Casio, two monsters waiting to pounce? It would seem that we are already in the tornado and if there is a stampede by the digital camera, MP3 player and Palm manufacturers to SNDK's format they may be in a great postion to be a Gorilla. They have been movers in the CopmactFlash Association (mfgrs and users group) but I do not know if their architecture is proprietary. Thanks Reveille (time to wake up)
Print the post Back To Top
The best report I have seen for Sandisk was on the Gorilla board as SI. I'd suggest checking out that board and doing a search for SNDK (whatever its letters are). You will find one very, very, detailed post on the subject. Find it and bring it back here with a link if you can.
Thanks for the reply. I've scanned the SI Gorilla board but will go back and read it carefully. I will post an update if I find relevant data.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The whole issue of whether or not there is a gorilla in the rainforest of memory formats is an interesting one. SanDisk certainly has been around long enough and has been leading the charge in compactflash and is now associated with the new SD format. So they have some credentials.

In the digital camera realm, compact flash has a strong share of the market versus smart memory cards. Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion. The dominant format for digital cameras in the USA is the good old floppy because of Sony's share position. This is important because Sony is also introducing a new memory format called Memory Stick. They are pushing hard to bring other manufacturers on board and create a standard that works well with a wide variety of consumer electronics devices.

Now here is the rub. If you are a memory card user, whether in cameras, mp3 players, or other electronics devices - do you care about being able to move memory cards from one device to another? Is sharing information important to you? If so, you might like to have a standard format. Unfortunately there is no current evidence that one needs to standardize on a memory card format.

So my take is that there is not yet a gorilla in the forest. There are relatively low switching costs for manufacturers to move from one format to another. Olympus has done it in the digital camera realm recently, adding compact flash to their options. The memory format wars in Japan show no sign of focusing on a single standard - instead the rivalry between memory stick and SD seem to be intensifying. And perhaps most importantly, consumers don't care what memory card format they use, because they are single purpose specific devices. Until a memory format comes with some other compelling reason, look for turbulence in the market.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know, but i believe all these devices will connect to the internet through a wireless connection and upload all of the pictures or movies you record giving you unlimited storage capability.

FlashPoint technology makes a OS for digital camera, and i could also see their technology move onto digital movie cameras. They have an investment from Apple. The company is still private..