Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
During my brief time reading this board (while I decided that the Zombie Apocalypse was likely not going to happen), I learned a lot.

I put it into use during Sandy. As you may gather, I'm in New Jersey.

My husband and I have been arguing about buying a generator since Hurricane Floyd in 1999. This time, the Wednesday before the storm, I prevailed, and we bought one. Beggars can't be choosers so I don't think my choice was the ideal one, but it was worth every penny of what I paid for it. It's a Rigid 6800 watt gas generator.

I topped off both cars. I filled our only gas cans. (I will be getting more for the holidays). I bought a couple of LED flashlights that I'd wanted but had never gotten. I filled the propane tank for the grill. I filled tubs of water (we have a well - no power, no water). I dug out all the candles. We had plenty of matches. I bought batteries.

I made a go bag in case we needed it. I tested my son's nebulizer on the generator. I made sure we were sleeping in the safest room of the house. I backed up all our computers and put the most precious stuff in the safest place I knew how (primarily sentimental stuff, not valuable).

We lost six or seven trees but they didn't fall on the house or the cars.

I figured out how to put a small fan, powered by the generator, in front of the gas stove to heat the first floor of the house, until a few days in a neighbor wired the furnace to work on the generator.

We filled buckets from our creek for flushing toilets. I made hot cocoa every morning to keep the kids warm. For a few hours while we were running the generator, we'd hook up the TV and DVD player and watch a movie while the house got warm enough. We had to lock up the generator overnight.

Things I need to have fixed:

- Get the well to be able to be powered by generator.
- Fix the sump pump so it doesn't trip the GFCI circuit on the generator (it's not a power thing).
- Get a new deep cycle marine battery for the backup sump pump, we'd neglected it.

But overall, we did well. We had food and water and fuel and medication. We had enough power to survive and we figured out the rest.

A lot of it is thanks to this board.

So, thank you.

GSF
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.