Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
Hi everyone! I went to the Post Office today to gather some letters. I have to say, I really love going there each year - the postal employees now serve coffee and donuts, and I see many of the same faces each year. People gather by the bins and cry together, or hug complete strangers - it's incredible.

Anyway, this year's letters turned out to be very difficult. I decided to get 6 letters, since about 12 of you have expressed interest in the project, in the hopes that people will double (or triple) up on families. (Picking our 6 was horribly difficult - remind me to tell you about the 7-year-old boy who wrote to ask only for "mommy and daddy to stop yelling at each other"). Since I only got 6 letters, I *CAN* make deliveries, and give reports back to the elves (with one exception - gifts for one little girl must be mailed, and I'll explain why in the post about her letter).

So here's what we'll do. I will start a new post for each new letter. (By the way, I have decided to reprint the letters verbatim, with spelling and grammar mistakes intact). People who wish to respond to that letter will reply to that post (e.g. create a thread). That way, you can discuss amongst yourselves who is buying or donating which items.

Once you have committed to donating or buying something for a letter, please email me, and I will send you my address and telephone number. You can then mail the packages to my address, for me to deliver. Please remember: you do not have to mail me the packages! If you would prefer to mail them to the family directly, that is okay.

If you would like to receive the original letter, please send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your packages. Since more than one person will (ideally) be replying to each letter, only one person will get the original - the other will get photocopies. However, maybe y'all can think up a joint custody arrangement for the originals.

Finally, please remember that you do not have to purchase any new items, if doing so would represent a hardship for you. Donated and gently used goods are always appreciated.

Well, that's all for now. Get to work, elves!!

bookgrrrl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.