No. of Recommendations: 0
sassyseagull Date: 9/14/99 8:46 PM Number: 13901
I am a 26 year old woman, who feels I should have started this a long time ago. ... I just graduated

Huh? I can't imagine any way to have started sooner. You're getting an excellent, early start. A realistic appraisal will serve you better than undeserved guilt in your investments and many other aspects of life.

accumulkated debt (approx $20,000. ... Where do we begin? Should we do something together for our retirement plans?

First read the Fool School's 13 steps to Foolishness. There is a link from the home page. You'll know some of it, but will find many useful tidbits. The urgency of paying off the debt depends on the interest rate, but the general guideline is to get it paid off first. You will be retiring together, so you should be planning that together. I like the books The Richest Man in Babylon and The Wealthy Barber for learning the "secrets" of acquiring wealth. In summary, the secret is to live below your means, save at least 10% of your income, and invest in good companies. You will find many useful corners in Fooldom as you undertake the various steps.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.