Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
or even $3,000!

http://www.powells.com/contest_OED.html

SB (just in time for my Birthday!)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>> Save $895!

SB: Thanks. Actually, it's "Save $2,105. (pay only $895.)". I entered, although I don't know what I'd do with a 20-volume dictionary...!

Mark.
G'd Afternoon All:

Is Powell's located in Seattle or Portland...or am I completely off base.

Now back under my rock.

Spence, who should be outside rather than sitting at this computer.
Is Powell's located in Seattle or Portland...or am I completely off base.

It's Portland. In fact, since I need to go downtown tomorrow, I think I'll stop by the main store and snoop around. I should probably pack up some books and take them along to sell.

I've been going to Powell's for 30 years or more - long before they took over the city block that now houses the main store.

It's a great place to wander.

Rose
I've been going to Powell's for 30 years or more - long before they took over the city block that now houses the main store.

Powell's is really my favorite bookstore! It's huge! Seriously! If you're ever in Portland, make sure you check it out!

It was a life-saver in college. They have new and used books merchandised together, and on a college budget, that worked out great for me!

I try to make a yearly visit there, on Veteran's day weekend. I should start planning for that!

s'wing
Powell's is really my favorite bookstore! It's huge! Seriously! If you're ever in Portland, make sure you check it out!

They used to say that they were one of the three largest bookstores in the country. They thought they were probably largest, but didn't want to argue with the other two. This has been long enough ago that it may no longer be the case.

Absolutely one of my favorite places.
I entered, although I don't know what I'd do with a 20-volume dictionary...!

Although I am sorely tempted to say, "If you win, I'll buy it from you" ... the thing is, if you don't know what you'd do with it ... you're the one who needs it the most.

Or, ya know, if you win, you could swap the full-print version for my 3-volume tiny-print set with magnifying glass. It's only cough mumble mumble years old and would be perfect for an OED noob. winkwinknudgenudge

ILC
No. of Recommendations: 6
I lost the magnifying glass years ago however nature has compensated for losing it by making my near vision almost perfect (at about four inches from the page, downhill and in a following wind).

I tell everyone that I bought it for two reasons: to increase my vocabulary and to know more words. You'd be surprised how many nod their heads sagely when I say that.

Remember that the volumes came in a slipcase? Lost that, too: the cat peed in it. Long story short: the cat peed in it.

Also the volumes aren't in that good condition since a succession of children have used them to squish leaves for class projects and I was not adverse to having a book used for other than reading. I rarely use the volumes these days yet, in one, there's still leaf fragments and that – bar the fridge drawings – is about all I have of that time in the kids' lives. That and the teething bite marks on Volume 11.

Nothing says erudition than a full set of OED, I always say. Either that or I am so dumb that I have to look up everything. However I suffer from bibliogmaniacism. I cannot look up one word; I get engrossed on the page and forget why I was on that page in the first place. Same with encyclopedias and, in fact, any reference book. Which, I think, underlines the adage that no one who can read can clean out an attic.

I was looking up something in Chapman's Piloting and two hours later Elly came over and said, “Did you find out about Bruce anchors?” and I said, “Oh, I'll get to that in a minute. Did you know that 'Broad on the Quarter' has nothing to do with bikinis? Fact.”

Of course I could have said, “I'm not finished with the A's yet,” but that would have been a lie since I was somewhere in the K's and that lead to something in the M's and, folks, that's my life.

In a way I regret losing the magnifying glass since it would have helped with my focusing. I'd write more on this but there's a spider just outside my window and it has made a web that must be several feet across. Back soon.

MichaelR

MichaelR"

Keep writing Michael. I'd certainly try to publish these short humor articles in local publications. You have talent, now you need to be discovered.

Now back under my rock.

Spence, who has to head for a luncheon date.

PS: my IP talented son has just installed a spell checker on my old system that works with posting on the Fool...nice.
No. of Recommendations: 2
>>>>Although I am sorely tempted to say, "If you win, I'll buy it from you" ... the thing is, if you don't know what you'd do with it ... you're the one who needs it the most.

ILC: Not having thumbed through the 20-vol set, I don't know what I'm missing, perhaps, but my parents have a huge (2,000+ pg.) dictionary they got as a wedding present. I have looked through it and while it is nice to have 100 definitions for one word, generally 90% of them aren't definitions I would have any reason to use, so I don't really miss not having them in my measly 200,000-word single-volume dictionary (or however many words are in the dictionary.com dictionary).

What I really need is a dictionary that will tell me what word I'm *trying* to think of that's just on the tip of my brain....

Mark.
while it is nice to have 100 definitions for one word, generally 90% of them aren't definitions I would have any reason to use, so I don't really miss not having them in my measly 200,000-word single-volume dictionary

The OED isn't for definitions, Mark. It's for history. Origins. The flavor of the words we use. The nuances. Connotations. The OED is a 7-course gourmet meal whereas a regular dictionary is merely take-out from Taco Bell.

What I really need is a dictionary that will tell me what word I'm *trying* to think of that's just on the tip of my brain....

Oh, well, I'll put "mind-reading dictionary program" on the list after I get around to writing a good word processing conversation dealy.

ILC
has anyone used the oed online? it comes to about $25 per month and is updated.

i had been considering buying the print set-- i do like reading things on pages much better than on screens, but i'm at a computer more often than near my bookshelves so it seems like subscribing to the online service might be more practical...

RE: ksr: "has anyone used the oed online?"

I use (free) Merriam Webster OnLine: http://www.m-w.com/ several times a day, and have an old crossword dictionary I keep close at hand for quick checks.

SB (and BTW: today is National Dictionary Day)
>>>>I use (free) Merriam Webster OnLine: http://www.m-w.com/ several times a day, and have an old crossword dictionary I keep close at hand for quick checks.

SB: That's not exactly the OED, now is it? But, similarly, I use dictionary.com several times a day, both at work and at home. It's a decent dictionary, free, and faster than paging through a paper dictionary. And it links to definitions from Webster's, American Heritage, and others.

I've mentioned it before, but the free NaviScope toolbar is great. It hovers almost invisibly at the edge of the screen (or wherever you want it), and when you want to search for something, you type in a word or phrase, press enter, and then select from a list of search engines, dictionary.com and thesaurus.com and it opens a browser window with your search. (NaviScope does other things as well, such as keep your clock accurate and block ads, but this is what I use it for on a daily basis.)

For crossword puzzle-making, I like WordSmyth.net (.com and .org are different enterprises). You can search on "..o..h" and it'll find avouch, enough, Scotch, smooth, etc. It can even find words that are longer or shorter than you specify, in case you're not sure of the spelling.

Mark.