No. of Recommendations: 2
There is thread on nofeeboards that indicates its cheaper to fly from non hub cities.

http://nofeeboards.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2211

But being a hub appears to come at a very steep price -- literally. Air travel is extremely price-sensitive: Lower the price and people travel more. Yet when people in hub cities pay a premium, they don't travel as much.

Cincinnati, dominated by Delta Air Lines, turns out to be one of the most expensive cities, according to the DOT. Passengers there paid 30 cents to fly a mile on average in the second quarter last year -- more than twice what travelers paid in Sacramento. Sacramento has a similar population to Cincinnati, but four times as many local air travelers a year.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sacramento has a similar population to Cincinnati, but four times as many local air travelers a year.

I'm not convinced of cause and effect here. Perhaps Sacramento is cheaper because more people fly (ie more people spread fixed costs, thus it costs the airline less money to operate who in turn pass on some of that savings to the customer).

The best advice I can think of in RWOL is to fly off season when the munchkins are still in school. Or better yet FIRE means you can pick up those last minute deals and arrange your schedule around the vacation package.

Leolo
Who can't wait to wake up one day and see an Italy vacation on sale but only if you can leave tomorrow. FIRE has its rewards.
No. of Recommendations: 0
If there are multiple airports near your destination then another thing to consider is airport taxes. When visiting LA for example, I almost always flew into LAX just from force of habit. However once I planned a trip to Catalina Island and the closest airport to the ferry dock was in Long Beach. The airfare was cheaper than a comparable LAX trip due to lower airport taxes.

Cincinnati, dominated by Delta Air Lines, turns out to be one of the most expensive cities, according to the DOT. Passengers there paid 30 cents to fly a mile on average in the second quarter last year -- more than twice what travelers paid in Sacramento. Sacramento has a similar population to Cincinnati, but four times as many local air travelers a year.

I suppose it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that they are comparing a mill town with a tourist spot, could it?
Who can't wait to wake up one day and see an Italy vacation on sale but only if you can leave tomorrow. FIRE has its rewards.

We are finishing up getting our passports for just that occasion. We have Hubby's, and the girls', we are waiting on mine.
Hubby is retired, I have an online business that I can basically take with me, and the girls are homeschooled. We can't wait to "hit the road".
Sacramento a tourist spot?

db
Sacramento a tourist spot?

Compared to Cincinatti?? Downtown Baghdad might be considered a tourist spot compared to Cincinatti.
No. of Recommendations: 0
if you want to ski Tahoe or drive to Yosemite, sure tourism works

Sacramento, when I was there in 99, was a big, empty airport, quite pleasant compared to Oakland (and I haven't flown to SFO in decades)