No. of Recommendations: 0
We took my wife's car in for it's required annual inspection yesterday. We were unable to find the current registration paperwork, so we said we would print a new one at home and bring by later. So, imagine my surprise when I logged into the state website to discover that the car hasn't been registered for the last year. I'm usually pretty good about handling bills and paperwork as they come in, but a report through quicken verified that, indeed, we hadn't ever paid for the registration last year. Did we never receive the reminder notice? Did we misplace it? No idea. A year or so ago, Pennsylvania stopped sending out the little registration stickers to put on the license plate that indicate the car is registered. So it never even crossed our mind that the car registration had elapsed. And apparently last year, we had the inspection done just before the new registration was required.

But, anyway it's now registered (for 2 years - a little cheaper if we keep it for 2 years) and the garage completed the inspection. Surprisingly, nothing in the process that suggests that we owe back fees or a fine for non-compliance. So, we actually saved money by not having the car registered last year. I wouldn't recommend this, though, as getting stopped could have been costly, and doing this intentionally would not exactly be legal/ethical.

I should probably make a list of all of those annual/multi-year things to review regularly, and/or put on my calendar.

Off the top of my head:

Driver's license (every 4 years)
Passport (every 10 years)
car registration (1-2 years)
taxes - Federal, State, Local, Property(x3) (annual)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.