Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been looking at the cd rates for my five year ladder in retirement. I have found that the two year cd has a similiar rate to the five year. I was thinking of taking more two year cd's. I am going to put any money that I need between 3 yrs and 6 yrs in AGG. What are others doing with their liquid funds in retirement.
Print the post Back To Top
In addition to CD's, I like divident stocks, espically utilities.
The "specials" around here for CDs seem to be for 15 months (3.5%) and 22 months (4%). I just transfered some savings to the 15 month CD and it so happens I have two more CDs coming due April 17th. I think I'll stick with the 15 month rate for those, too.
I'm hoping in a month or two I can get a special rate on 3, 4, or 5 yr CDs and I'll ladder some money into those.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Capital One is offering 18 mos @ 3.95% and 24 mos @ 4.25%
Squeeks a little more out of a hard earned dollar.
Regards,
Jim
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm hoping in a month or two I can get a special rate on 3, 4, or 5 yr CDs and I'll ladder some money into those.

Pentagon Federal CU has 3, 4, and 5 year CDs, all at 5%. Anyone can join this CU by joining a support organization. It's explained on the website.

Here are the CD rates:

https://www.penfed.org/prodserv/certificates/index.asp?app=CDA

Have you considered putting SOME of your money in a REIT or mutual fund that pays dividends? Novastar (stock symbol NFI), for example, pays quarterly dividends that have come to approximately 14 percent per year for several years. That's a lot better than bank interest, but not for ALL of your bundle! I have some of them in my IRA, in fact.

Just a thought.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 2
Perhaps consider I Bonds, it's 4.8% now.
careful locking into long term CDs (over a year) in this market. rates are rising and if you lock in for too long, odds are good that the regular savings rate will pass your CD rate. just something to keep in mind.

personally i ladder 1-years at ING but have not even been doing that for a while since rates were rising so fast. all three of my current CDs are at lower rates than the regular savings account.