Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Wow I'm doing better than 4/5s of the users here. Quite an accomplishment. Let me sing my praise. LA DE DAAAAA! Ok I'm done. Here's the facts:

* 1/2 of CAPS users signed up and stopped playing immediately (a pure guess but grounded in fact, I'm sure)

* All of the stocks I own in real life are lagging the S&P (MSFT, GOOG, AAPL).

* And here's the kicker ...

Except for a few stocks here and there (RSH, COST, BBI, NFLX and a couple more) I've picked against what I think will happen in the market. I.e. I've underperformed a bunch of small-caps I've been watching, hoping they'd go down while I accumulate money to go buy them. And you know what? They've all (mostly) underperformed! These are stocks I thought were going to be winners and they're underperforming! Granted, its only been a few days and small caps are volatile guys sharing a common attribute (they're small) so hence I can understand why they'd, as a group, underperform. But still. Hmm.

This leaves me in a quandary. So do I really want to invest in a bunch of supposed winners who have underperformed? Well that was my hope when I started! But now its reality and so I question what I should do. It's a funny dream situation I'm in but I'm not sure if I have the balls to do it. Of course if the stocks shot through the roof, would I have the balls to buy them at a higher price?

So the answer is I need more balls.

Now here's the real question: would I truly be better off pulling a Costanza and buying the opposite of everything I think is good, shorting everything I've meticulously researched and determined to be underpriced, undervalued and certain to go up?

I'll take a chicken salad sandwich, hold the mayo.

And lastly, I am going to earn my medals (or lack thereof). Once I make my purchase, I'm going to do a reassessment of all of my picks and close all picks that I don't entirely agree with. Then I'm going to play for real ... and see if I really am an all-star.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.