Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I was linked to a news article on Yahoo from the Fool He/She board, and it states that the Fool is laying off half of its staff of 140 employees (from a high of 400!). Now, OB, you made it through the last one, but I've noticed that you've posted 2 times in the last 11 days, and haven't posted at all in the last 5.

Man oh man, I hope you're still around! Please post SOMETHING to reassure this dead bus that you're still alive!

If you have anything personal to say on this matter, my e-mail address is [email protected]

Hope to hear from you, buddy!

Pat Martin

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 14
Hi Pat and everyone,

We had to take a big hit today, and unfortunately I'm one who'll be leaving. We'll all still be employed here for a couple of months, though... and of course I'll always hang out here and be a part of this great community.

Thanks for your concern, and let me know if anyone's looking for an ex-Fool writer and stroller with great sportscasting, newscasting, and producing skills. ;)

Oh, and I can run a print shop, also. And I once assembled computers for IBM... the very first PCs.

Cheers,

OB

No. of Recommendations: 5
Sorry to hear that OB! If you're interested in moving to sunny (to a fault) FL, I'm always looking for quality, personable, Service reps. If you know of anybody like that, let me know. (da-dum-dum-TAAA). The pay ain't that great, but at least the work is hard.

JTM (ready to clear room under the salary cap for OB)
No. of Recommendations: 4
We had to take a big hit today, and unfortunately I'm one who'll be leaving.
O
-------------------------------------------------------------
WELL, DAMN IT ALL!!!!!!!!

You can use me for an "E" reference anytime, REX--stay in touch with us...

Very sad OOLFAY ;^((
Whoa.

This caught me by surprise- I thought Pat's message had a familiar ring to it (like it was the same message posted shortly after the second round of layoffs), but now I'm completely shocked and pissed. It's too bad that this had to happen at a time when everything else seems to be going wrong as well.

Rex, you're my first ever Favorite Fool and someone who I can say I've been here with since day one. While I'm obviously concerned about where you're planning on going from here, my first thought was of your kids. Have you informed them yet? If you're planning on heading back "home," are they excited about the return, or kind of bummed about having to move again?

I know you'll do fine- you're an awesome guy with some great skills that any company would want to get their hands on. Hey, if you're interested in joining the Wise, let me know, and I can have an interview set up in the major city of your choice- I'm not kidding about this. I had the pleasure of meeting the Director of National Recruiting and he seemed to really like me. He told me that if I ever needed a favor, all I had to do was ask... you'll let me know, but I think financial planning would be great for you- especially if you think that this TMF Money Advisor thing is a good idea (in theory).

Whatever you need- just ask... the bus is with you ;)

Dan
Jimmy, Dan, and David (OOLF)... thanks. The kind words mean a lot to me.

My kids know, and I was surprised that they took it very hard. And the only reason is that they know how much I love working at the Fool; thoughts of moving had not yet entered their heads.

I think we've decided to stay in the area if we can... the kids have finally settled in, they love their schools, and are having a great time. I'd hate to uproot them again, even if it meant moving to a place they've lived before. There's also just not that many opportunities for me back "home."

I actually feel optimistic about things, and I appreciate all the support.

Thanks,

Rex
Oof! I'm a big dork. I meant to write after I talked to Cheeze about it on Friday, but forgot. OB, I'm so sorry. Keep your chin up. Come to happy hour sometime and I'll get your first cocktail. If not, look for a drippy Fedex box coming to the Fool around lunchtime. ;)

From one recent layoff casualty to another,
Shannon
OB:

Sorry to hear the news.

You seem like a talented, and personable dude, (even if you have the questionable habit of swooping down on minor milestones).

Hope you find something soon...and where you are living now. Uprooting the kids is such a pain.

Good Luck!...Stay in touch with the Short Bus!

DJ
OB,

Very sorry to hear you will be leaving the Fool. Really. I can only hope you will be hanging out with us well into the future. Will you? I hope!

I'd really like to know what your future plans (if you've formulated any yet) are. Also, how does the future look for the Motley Fool? What went down to lead to this, and why? Also, have your feelings about the Fools' philosophies on LTBH, and their ability to pick stocks, changed at all? Seems their last few picks of "overvalued" stocks (something I never fully grasped, BTW) seemed right on: they WERE overvalued....at least for now.

And Cheeze, I'm sad to see you are going, too. Have you ever thought about comedy writing? Hey, if there is one thing you have learned from your stint at the Motley Fool, and one thing you will always be able to carry with you wherever you go and whatever you do, it is this: Oblood is a meanie! OBIAM.

Thanks to you both for a couple of years of entertainment (and even some education to boot;).

Good luck guys, and stick around!

Patrick Martin

Have you ever thought about comedy writing?

Not according to OBlood.

:-)

Thanks for the nice words,

Cheeze
OBIAM
No. of Recommendations: 2
>>Have you ever thought about comedy writing?<<

Not according to OBlood.

Since we're both losing our jobs, Cheeze, I will make an admission here:

I laughed at you all the time.

Ok, ok.... this is pretty good stuff:

I would make an excellent lawn ornament, and I can type 60 words per minute if the wind is at my back.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15837897

It was a hellavu run, my friend.

OB
No. of Recommendations: 2
It was a hellavu run, my friend.

Yes it was, and I will cherish the moments we spent snickering at Mycroft's choices in men's fragrances.

Meanwhile, if you think you're going to use this occasion to get me to back off from my crusade to mark you as a meanie, you are sorely mistaken, bucko.

Okay okay. Maybe I'll back off a little.

Cheeze

OBI(sorta)AM