Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since the consolidation craze is over this board has become somewhat quiet, so I figured I'd post a bit about my situation to spruce it up. Sorry about the length of this post, if you aren't interested in the details go to the ::Current:: part :)

I am December '04 grad and began thinking about consolidation around Novemember. I initially chose a company called Education Loan Comapny, because their incentives were 25 basis points more competitive than other companies and they assured me the wouldn't sell my loan. So I applied with them and the initial consolidation request was denyed by US Bank due to a standard single lender rule. Next I called US Bank and at my request they accepted ELC's consolidation application. ELC asked me if I wanted to wait until the end of my grace period to make payments, to which I replied of course.
So I'm thinking everything is great until I have to call back in July because I got a letter from Sallie Mae the new holder of my loans. It appeared ELC decided to hold off on the payoff for my loans with US bank until right before I was to start making payments myself. US Bank in their normal business fashion sold my loans to Sallie Mae a few months after I graduated.
So after a lot of time on the phone with US Bank and ELC, I was assured ELC would be able to get the loans from Sallie Mae and that it would be taken care of by mid July.

Ok so when I call back around mid July I am told that one of my LVC's has expired (no kidding since I applied 6 months ago) and they had to resend it to Sallie Mae... 10 days later, (time Sallie Mae has to send back the LVC) I am told Sallie Mae has requested a copy of my orginal application and it could take until Aug 29th to get that done with. When I mentioned to ELC that I owe a payment to Sallie Mae in a week they suggested I take a deferment.

So, my question to you all...Do you know of legit ways for me to avoid this payment until this works itself out. I would really like to avoid paying Sallie Mae as it just complicates matters more and I really just don't like their company in general. The suggestion that I ask for deferment doesn't really work because I don't not officially qualify for any. When I mentioned that to ELC they said, "sometimes you have to fudge". Worse comes to worse I will make the payment, but I was hoping some of the creative minds in here might have some advice.

At any point this discussion should be better than the Buying/Selling a home board. :)

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.