Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Say you already filed your taxes for the year and then realized you have some extra money in your savings account you would like to put away in a tax free vehicle, like the ROTH. As long as your MAGI is under the limit, can you just go to any online broker and open up a ROTH and not have to fill out some tax return related form?

Yes. I contribute to my Roth IRA every year, and nothing related to the Roth shows up on my tax return. I don't have to fill out any tax return related forms as long as I'm not taking any money out of the Roth.

However, I do need to keep records. If I end up taking a non-qualified distribution (essentially a withdrawal from the Roth before it has been in place 5 years or before I reach age 59 1/2, with various exceptions listed in Pub 590) I will need to know in detail how much I contributed in which tax years and how much I converted from traditional IRAs in which tax years.

I noticed one of the popular tax software programs asks that question during the return interview process. Is it too late after the fact?

The program is probably trying to find out if you qualify for the Retirement Savings Credit. If your AGI is greater than the limit for filing status (TY 2011: 56,500 MFJ; 42,375 HoH; 28,250 Single), you can't claim the Retirement Savings Credit anyway.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.