No. of Recommendations: 3
Say your traditional IRA was never tax deductable. What would you pay taxes on when converting?

You would have to pay taxes on any gains in the converted amount on a pro-rated basis. For instance, if your contributions were $10,000 and your current balance is $15,000, you would pay taxes on $5,000. If only only convert $12,000 out of the $15,000, you would pay taxes on $4,000. The remaining $3,000 in your traditional IRA would have a non-deductible basis of $2,000.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.