Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
SBruno wrote:

I realize the value in "checking up" on my RM companies every quarter. What is the quickest way to do that?

Well, to give a purely "by the book" response, you might do the following:

1) run the company's current 10-Q or 10-K numbers through the Rule Maker ranker spreadsheet (making sure to compare the current numbers to a year ago and not the previous quarter). For one company, this should take about 10-15 minutes.

2) See where the company's total score lies and make a judgement call:

- If it rose, keep it, since the company is improving

- If it fell by only a few points but is still in Tier 1 or Tier 2, read through the entire report with a fine-tooth comb. If it looks like all's well and it's just a brief blip, then keep it. However, if there's something new there that may have a long-term impact (legal settlement, new competition that took a bite out of profits, etc.) keep an eye on it to see if it was just a one-shot deal or the start of a trend (and maybe check a few of the previous quarters to see if the trend already started). Most comapnies will have a bad quarter or two every so often, so don't let the results of a single quarter sway your judgement -- look for the results of 3 or 4 quarters in a row before making a decision to sell.

- If it fell by a lot and it's not the first time its score dropped, or it's gone down to Tier 3, strongly think about selling. Some new dog has come into town, and it's a whole lot meaner and leaner than the old hound.

Disclaimer: This response is purely based on what's given in "Rule Breakers, Rule Makers" about the different Tier ratings. I make no claims for this to be a bullet-proof strategy, and I recommend you see what the TMF staff has to say both about your question and in response to this.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.