No. of Recommendations: 1
Scary that to think that even phones can get hit by malware.

Well, duh. These days a phone is not a phone. It's a handheld computer that also can make telephone calls.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
That's really hard to believe. I wonder if a telemarketer somehow spoofed Vanguard's number? The Russian and Ukrainian operations are as sophisticated as the CIA.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2013/07/robocall-scams-pus...

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 0
That is not the experience that I have had and expect at Vanguard so am inclined to think that someone has gotten control of one of their phone numbers. Any chance you miscalled to a similar wrong number?
I did some looking around on the Vanguard website thinking that their contact phone numbers would be easy to find under a link at their home page but could not fine it. After some searching I found references to two other numbers for them which are 888-273-4205 and 877-311-2969. A recent statement had the phone number 800-345-1344.
I remain confused.
No. of Recommendations: 2
CABob writes,

That is not the experience that I have had and expect at Vanguard so am inclined to think that someone has gotten control of one of their phone numbers. Any chance you miscalled to a similar wrong number?
I did some looking around on the Vanguard website thinking that their contact phone numbers would be easy to find under a link at their home page but could not fine it. After some searching I found references to two other numbers for them which are 888-273-4205 and 877-311-2969. A recent statement had the phone number 800-345-1344.
I remain confused.

</snip>

The number mentioned, 800-523-9442, is a special line for 401k rollovers. It's a legitimate Vanguard number.

https://investor.vanguard.com/401k-rollover/how-to-roll-over...

intercst
...the lady WILL NOT STOP READING HER MOTHER LOVIN SCRIPT...

I betcha it was a computer talking.
No. of Recommendations: 3
The number is correct. Did you try calling it again?
I just tried it and got Vanguard Concierge Services. No telemarketers.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Telemarketers are not stupid - they get numbers that are keyboard close to heavily used numbers such as Vangaurd's. If you called from a cell phone look at your call history. I am willing to be money you miss dialed. It could be hitting a 4 or a 6 instead of a 5. I do that about once every couple of weeks.
You would lose that money. Checked recently dialed numbers and I dialed the number on the Vanguard website....
No. of Recommendations: 6
I got my official reply from Vanguard. They verified that the phone number was correct and “Regret that my experience was unsatisfactory “.

Back to my original subject line. Wow.

And, have you tried the number again?

I did. I still get Vanguard.

The problem isn't with Vanguard.
No. of Recommendations: 20
Checked recently dialed numbers and I dialed the number on the Vanguard website....

I also called the number from both my cell phone and my VOIP phone and got Vanguard IVRs both times - nothing asking if I was over 50. It sounds to me like you might have malware on your phone.

If you checked the recently dialed numbers on the phone, you might want to also check the recently dialed numbers on the record of your account to see if they match the numbers on your phone. You should also be sure that you have up to date anti-virus protection on your phone.

AJ
I also called the number from both my cell phone and my VOIP phone and got Vanguard IVRs both times - nothing asking if I was over 50. It sounds to me like you might have malware on your phone.

If you checked the recently dialed numbers on the phone, you might want to also check the recently dialed numbers on the record of your account to see if they match the numbers on your phone. You should also be sure that you have up to date anti-virus protection on your phone.

AJ
=== ===
Scary that to think that even phones can get hit by malware. A person has to be extra vigilant about almost everything these days!
--BigBunk
No. of Recommendations: 0
I got my official reply from Vanguard. They verified that the phone number was correct and “Regret that my experience was unsatisfactory “.

Sounds like they sent you a template.
Scary that to think that even phones can get hit by malware.

Well, duh. These days a phone is not a phone. It's a handheld computer that also can make telephone calls.
If you check out Glassdoor reviews of the major brokerage firms, you'll see the following statistics on how many employees recommend their firm to a friend:

Fidelity 79%
JP Morgan 79%
Schwab 69%
TD Ameritrade 68%
Merrill Lynch 62%
Vanguard 51%
If you check out Glassdoor reviews of the major brokerage firms, you'll see the following statistics on how many employees recommend their firm to a friend:

Fidelity 79%
JP Morgan 79%
Schwab 69%
TD Ameritrade 68%
Merrill Lynch 62%
Vanguard 51%

</snip>

Are they recommending the firm as a good place to work, or a good place to invest your money?

The fees that some of firms charge are going to markedly reduce your investment returns.

intercst

Fidelity 79%
JP Morgan 79%
Schwab 69%
TD Ameritrade 68%
Merrill Lynch 62%
Vanguard 51%

</snip>

Are they recommending the firm as a good place to work, or a good place to invest your money?

It's an employee satisfaction rating.