Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read a few of the posts on this topic, and the instructions that come along with the forms, but am still a bit perplexed.

If I have one long term capital gain item, and no short term gains or losses, it appears that I cannot use the tax calculation provided in section 4 of schedule D, and must include the LT cap gain as ordinary income, taxed at the higher rate. The gain item is from the sale of a property bought to rehab and sell, never rented or lived in.

Have I missed something? Should I struggle to find something that qualifies as a short term cap gain so I can use section 4 to calculate the taxes owed? This seems counter-intuitive, but WDIK.



Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.