Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted a poll here yesterday and the majority of those who responded felt that schools should be open provided that everyone adheres strictly to guidelines. Here's PART of the guidelines in our community:

The Westchester County Department of Health issued a letter to school districts on January 4, 2021 advising schools of changes to the quarantine procedures. Our Medical Director carefully reviewed the changes, and approved them for implementation in our schools. The quarantine rules essentially note that individuals within six feet of a positive case for 10 or more minutes are required to quarantine for 10 days. The quarantines are required regardless of whether masks were worn and/or polycarbonate barriers were used.
This revised DoH guidance, coupled with the six-feet distancing and mask guidelines that we are following, has resulted in fewer individuals being quarantined. In addition, when students learning remotely test positive for COVID, there are no school quarantines necessary as the individual would not have been in the school while positive.
With regard to bus quarantines, the previous guidelines called for the entire bus to be quarantined, irrespective of their distance from the positive individual. In some instances, the two individuals could have been 35 feet away, yet everyone on the bus was required to quarantine. The current guidance requires anyone within six-feet of the individual for 10-minutes or more to quarantine.

Duration of Quarantines
As we have previously shared, the quarantine period in New York State has been reduced from 14 days to 10 days provided the individual remains asymptomatic. Regardless of whether an individual tests negative for COVID, the quarantine period for anyone exposed to a COVID positive person may not be reduced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j4-027EvsWxm7DkS5MUg9yCTS7I...

Thank God my kids aren't going to that school. If they were, I'd opt for remote learning until the pandemic is under much better control. And who's protecting the teachers?????

The pandemic got out of control almost a year ago mainly due to stupidity. The then president (we won't mention his name) and many of his followers pooh-poohed Covid. We saw what happened.

It seems to me that the stupidity is alive and well. Of course I appreciate the value of in person education. And I understand that many parents need a baby-sitting service so that they can go to work.

But here's the thing. GUIDELINES can be deadly. Administrators can allow dangerous situations simply by showing that they are acting in conformance with the guidelines. Do you REALLY thing that it is reasonable to try to estimate "within six feet of a positive case for 10 or more minutes???" And what about the kids riding on school buses? Or socializing outside and showing up with the virus?

Will it kill us to keep the classes remote for a while? It will no doubt kill some of us if we don't.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.