Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
DH & I went to meet a friend in NY yesterday for lunch & a play. As we walked to my car for my return trip home, in the rain & snow <will this winter ever end?>, I spotted a cardboard box curbside.

It was for a GE toaster over & appeared to have a toaster oven still inside it. I mentioned it to DH, who sort of rolled his eyes. The box was pretty wet. DF said, "Aw, c'mon, you know she wants it. Pick it up & we'll see what it's like".

Luckily, the car was only a 100 feet away. DH quickly stuffed it in the trunk & pulled it out of the box. It was a small Black & Decker toaster oven. Obviously, the owners had upgraded & set the old one curbside. Except it wasn't that old. Or dirty. DF exclaimed, "Hey, that's even better than the one you bought for me at a yard sale for a $1!".

After letting it dry overnight, I plugged it in this morning. Works like a charm. My MIL had been keeping her eye out for a new yard sale toaster oven since hers doesn't quite work right anymore. One element burned out & the toaster "ding" doesn't shut off the heat automatically. The one she has now was a yard sale purchase for $3 about 8 years ago. I guess I just found her a new one :). It was missing the broiler trays, but it's the same size as her current one, so her current trays will fit it just right.

Laura
it pays to keep your eyes open
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Nice Job! Can I have your old one??

Brought back memories of "Gomie Picking" in Japan. It is almost a national sport. The night before trash pick up you wander the neighborhood, looking at what your neighbors have set out for the next day.

I just about furnished my apartment that way (sofa, CD player, phone etc) and I was not the only one doing it. And most of us were NOT Gaijin.

Da Fluff
No. of Recommendations: 1
Nice Job! Can I have your old one??

Seriously? You're more than welcome to it, if you want it.

It's seen a few years, but it's serviceable. To make toast, we just set it on a high bake temperature, since the toaster push-down button doesn't work. Works fine as long as you remember to take out your toast before it burns ;).

It has a chrome finish so it pretty much fits any kitchen decor. It's big enough to do 4 chicken thigh/legs on the roasting pan but not big enough for a small whole chicken.

I'd be happy to recycle it to you next time I come up or you come down.

Maybe we should include Free/Wanted/Will Barter ads on the board <lol>.

Laura
currently refinishing a chair, found free while curbside shopping. I'll post a picture when it's done.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Only half seriously.
Wouldn't mind one BUT no room in the kitchen for one. Storage space at a minimum, equipment at a maximum. The idea of a barter board, by the way, is excellent and definitely LBYM and in keeping with the dumpster diving motto.

Did I ever mention the wash stand I found by the road way, refinished and gave as a gift to my sister in law?

Da fluff.
No. of Recommendations: 0
You know, there is a thing called "craigslist" in many cities now, it has a barter/swap/freebie section... Only charges for ant ads, so there's alway a lot of "stuff" on there...

http://www.craigslist.org/

weco
Only charges for ant ads

You mean people actually want ants??? ;-)

phantomdiver
Only half seriously. Wouldn't mind one BUT no room in the kitchen for one.

Well, I'll put it in the basement at my MIL's until she has her yard sale in the summer, in case you change your mind or find a bit of space.

Did I ever mention the wash stand I found by the road way, refinished and gave as a gift to my sister in law?

No, don't think so.

I kept an eye out Monday morning while running errands. Early Sunday & Mondays are always good for curbside pickings once yard sale season starts. I think the rain this weekend put a crimp in most plans, though.

Laura

You know, there is a thing called "craigslist" in many cities now, it has a barter/swap/freebie section... Only charges for ant ads, so there's alway a lot of "stuff" on there...

Yes, unfortunately, none are in my area. But we do have a local paper that does free wanted/giving away for free ads. I don't usually see any bartering per se, although people will look for someone to help them learn a language, sew, translate a letter, etc.

Laura
PD beat me to the "ant" joke, drat her
Hmm, that'll teach me to reread my posts!! Yep "ant" was supposed to be "want"...

In any case, some interesting things pop up on craigslist.. one the other day wanted to trade "nookie" for a new lapptop! No limits I guess... But it is a spreading list, one more resource..

My niece found a beautiful large oak desk for only $100.. almost killed us off getting it up into her two story home, but well worth a lot more, a great find..

weco
Wow. I do like that list & need to remember it is out ther.
cool.
joycets