Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As a secularist, I understand that I fail to feel the emotional pull of the church and of the joy worshiping in the company of fellow faithful. I get that being able to be in the company of fellow Christians and Jews is important in the cause of religious practice. But is a temporary restriction such as this something religious leaders want to oppose knowing they will have to face their members when some lose family, friends and fellow worshipers because they packed churches and synagogues?
——————————————
“Even in a pandemic, the Constitution cannot be put away and forgotten,” the majority said an unsigned opinion issued just before midnight Wednesday. “The restrictions at issue here, by effectively barring many from attending religious services, strike at the very heart of the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty.”
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
something religious leaders want to oppose knowing they will have to face their members when some lose family, friends and fellow worshipers because they packed churches and synagogues?

My church in Los Angeles has had only zoom services since the pandemic started, as have most of the “main line” protestant including AME and National Baptist, and the RC churches and Reform and Conservative synagogues. The funeral of a very loved and important member of my church had only clergy and immediate family in the church and the rest of us zoomed in. Our zoom in cookies and coffee sessions and Bible studies have better attendance than we had in the flesh.

Then there are the others — and they use the emotions of loss to prove and build still more blind faith!

David fb
(My church explicitly says our mission is service in love and not blind faith)(Granny told me “If it smells of piety then it STINKS of piety.”)
No. of Recommendations: 15
As a secularist, I understand that I fail to feel the emotional pull of the church and of the joy worshiping in the company of fellow faithful. I get that being able to be in the company of fellow Christians and Jews is important in the cause of religious practice. But is a temporary restriction such as this something religious leaders want to oppose knowing they will have to face their members when some lose family, friends and fellow worshipers because they packed churches and synagogues?

Of course they will because it’s a hoax. Fake news. And if someone dies it’s the will of God anyway. And he works in mysterious ways. And he was born from a virgin that he impregnated himself. And fed 10,000 people with a loaf of bread and a fish.

And died for our sins, even though he can’t really die. And was incarnated even though he didn’t die.

You think a worldwide pandemic is going to convince these people of anything?