Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Screening for Dividend income has not been my favorite(skeptic).

No argument--I too am not a fan of screening for dividend.
Partly because I don't like dividends, but also because the results can put you in into some very poor companies.
But that's a comment mainly about screening *purely* for dividends, which is a bad idea.

I think the key is a strong filter which gets you a better class of company with a moderate dividend rather than dodgy ones with high dividends.
My quickie screen example used ROE for that, which is one of the better one-field tests for a "successful" company.
There are lots of other simple checks that would likely help to eliminate those with high dividends because they're on their way out.
Dividend coverage with earnings is traditional, though I've had less success with that than I'd expect.
Lots of cash per unit of market cap.
Low debt to market cap.
Sales growth.

Another approach I found worked not too badly:
Do a megablend of a whole bunch of plausible screens that all pick relatively strong firms at some stage.
Then, from among all those picks (maybe 100+), use the ones paying the highest dividends (maybe 40+)

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.