Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I did fly business on a mileage ticket. I highly recommend EVA and Thai and I have been told they aren’t even the best Asian airlines. It is a long trip and the flights all seem to leave at weird times(left Seattle for Taipei at around 1am).

Overall, go when you are totally mobile - there are few to no accommodations anywhere I went.

I started in Hanoi(and had been there about 4 years ago). The biggest difference from the last trip is that I didn’t stick out because there were lots of Western tourists. Hotels can still be cheap – easily under $50 with breakfast. I had an airport pickup through the tour this time but was able to arrange one through the hotel last time – highly recommend. Outside of an organized tour, I’d recommend day tours or a personal guide. Highlights – still the water puppets, Ho Chi Minh, from the last time – Woman Museum and Museum of Fine Arts.

We did an overnight trip to Halong Bay & I would recommend it but go with a higher priced boat for lots of reasons. We also toured the caves there & I recommend that.

Hoi An was really the best part of Vietnam for me. It was smaller and easy to get around. We stayed at the Hoi An Historic Hotel & I recommend it. I thought it was a good location, the a/c was good as was the breakfast. There is a school close by and a big assembly on Monday mornings at 7(video on FB) – ask about that when assigned a room. Highly recommend Miss Vy’s Cooking School. This is also the place to get custom made clothing. I had two dresses made at Yaly Couture – no idea of price comparison but lined dresses made overnight with hemming the next day and delivered to hotel – total $130. I also did a ~5 hour bike tour with some tourist aspects(similar to some on Viator but I didn’t find the exact one).

Ho Chi Minh City
We spent more time out of the city than in. Cu Chi tunnels were interesting but...uncomfortable with some propaganda(IMHO). We spent a day on the Mekong River and around it. (Overall, too many boat rides & markets on this trip).

We had a great local guide in Vietnam; not so much in Cambodia. It was 110 when we were at Angkor Wat and it was Kymer New Year so it was also crowded. It did sound like the choice is hot or rainy – those are the two seasons. Other than Angkor Wat, I was underwhelmed with Cambodia(Siem Reap). (Cambodia uses US dollars but gives pretty worthless change in their currency)

Most of the people on the tour were Aussies and some were smart enough to spend a few days in Singapore on the way home – I wish I had thought of that. Overall, beer is usually cheap(on par with soda), wine less so. Food can be cheap but I avoided fresh produce unless I knew it had been washed with purified water. Bottled water for everything – drinking, tooth brushing, etc. Take care with ice.

I’m glad I went but probably wouldn’t go back. In talking to people on the tour who had done others with this company, this one was a weak link so I am not sure if I would do another with them or not.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.