Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've dug through this board and several of the IRS publications and I would truly appreciate it if someone better informed than myself could read through my assumptions and make sure I'm not making huge mistakes.

I will not reach $87,900 in total income this year.

I am a full-time employee and have wages reported on a W-2 at the end of the year. I make 403b (deductible) and Roth IRA (non-deductible) contributions out of this income. I always reach the federal maximum on both. The 403b contribution is an above the line deduction to my AGI and reduces my income tax liability.

This year (2005) I will also have some independent contractor income reported via 1099s.

I am eligible for a SEP-IRA based on my 1099 reported income in addition to funding a 403b and Roth IRA to the federal maximum with my W-2 income. The SEP-IRA limits are not affected by my 403b or Roth IRA. For the SEP-IRA I am eligible to contribute 20% of my net income or $41,000 whichever is less as I am a sole proprietor based on the convoluted SEP-IRA worksheet in publication 560. Could someone please explain this to me? I've read through that section several times and it's still clear as mud how I can figure out the maximum I can contribute.

SEP-IRA contributions will not reduce net income reported via Schedule C but instead are taken as an above the line deduction on the 1040 form reducing adjusted gross income. As such SEP-IRA contributions will not affect the amount of SE tax I will have to pay as calculated via Schedule SE (which is based off Schedule C). Therefore opening a SEP-IRA does not save on SE tax but does save on the federal income tax I have to pay. This allows me to keep a bit more of my money although I cannot readily access that money until I am 59 1/2.

Business expenses (milage, tolls, etc.) will reduce my net income and reduce SE tax. Half of the SE tax I pay will be used to reduce my AGI as an above the line deduction to AGI on the 1040 form.

So based on this if I want the largest amount of readily spendable cash on hand I should not open a SEP-IRA. If I want to keep as much of what I earned as possible and don't mind not being to use it immediately I should open a SEP-IRA.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.