Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Spriong is in full bloom here around the SF Bay. For the first time since moving to California 9 years ago, what appears to be seasonal allergies have hit me hard. Watery eyes, scratchy nose and throat and a general blah feeling (itchy skin sometimes too).

What should I try as an alternative to getting a prescription? Many thanks for suggestions.
Print the post Back To Top
what appears to be seasonal allergies have hit me hard. Watery eyes, scratchy nose and throat and a general blah feeling (itchy skin sometimes too).

What should I try as an alternative to getting a prescription? Many thanks for suggestions.

There are several items that are recommended. They're all discussed in WholeHealthMD.com:

<< If your allergies are seasonal, start taking the bromelain/quercetin, the herb nettle, pantothenic acid (one of the B vitamins), and vitamin C at the first signs that your allergies are returning, and simply continue them until your season ends or at the first frost. >>

Quercetin is found in onions and apples, but not in the concentration you need for reducing allergic responses. Bromelain always goes along with it to make it to facilitate its digestion. Nettle is a classic anti-allergy plant. Etc etc.

To see the full discussion, with recommended doses, etc.....

http://wholehealthmd.com/hc/resourceareas_supp/1,1442,426,00.html

sheila

I've gotten excellent results from cromolyn sodium which is found in Nasalcrom nasal spray, among others.

I start using it 1 - 2 weeks before the season starts and then use it for a few weeks afterward and I no longer suffer from the effects of pollen.

In about 4 weeks, the air here will literally be green.

It's great because there are no side effects.

MG

No. of Recommendations: 1
I've gotten excellent results from cromolyn sodium which is found in Nasalcrom nasal spray, among others.

Do your symptoms include itchy burning eyes, and itchy nose and skin? I use cromolyn sodium for my asthma (prescription, not OTC, in this case) and it does nothing for anything except my airways--and for that, it's fabulous.

The nasal spray used to be by prescription, but there was a long period when it wasn't available at all--and that's when I could have used it for the rhinitis that began during hayfever season but eventually became year-round. So....I was given a nasal steroid for that--and I had very mixed feelings about it.

That's when I discovered the permanent benefits of acupuncture. It put an end to all the miseries going on inside my nose, and improved the hayfever itch. It also radically dramatically improved my hayfever, and my asthma--which used to get a lot worse during hayfever time. Did far more than allergy shots ever did.

Acupuncture enabled me to spend my hayfever months as a normal human being and practically antihistamine-free. I used to be a mess despite antihistamine, upped asthma meds, etc.--just less of a mess than without all of that. It was truly wonderful till 9/11 and breathing Ground Zero air for much of the time till well into November. Asthma and allergies took a major dive. I'd say it's about 80% back to my post-acupuncture normal, and I hope to get back that last 20%.

sheila
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have severe ragweed allergy. I use a Natra Bio brand homeopathic remedy. Works like a charm for me. They have numerous allergy formulas, some for specific allergies, and then the one for general symptoms called simply "Allergy Relief". That's the one I use. (I use the liquid; it also comes in tablets.) They are inexpensive.

Most health food stores will carry these, but I usually order a bunch at a time on line from vitaminshoppe.com.

g

<<Do your symptoms include itchy burning eyes, and itchy nose and skin?>>

Yes, every year around the beginning of April, my eyes begin to itch, burn and water. Then come the itchy nose with sneezing, headaches and blahs. If I forget to start taking the Nasalcrom before that as a preventive, I immediately start dosing with it and within a few days my sympoms disappear. It works great for me.

Before I discovered it, I used to try Benadryl and that only made me feel worse.

On a related note, I've used quercetin, Vit. C and nettles in the past to help with hives and found that for me, they only help with mild cases.

I am happy to know there are alternatives to traditional anti-histamines since those really seem to a number on me.

I am happy to hear about your acupuncture success. I've always wondered about that.

MG
No. of Recommendations: 3
Besides all of the supplements you could consider, and the nasal sprays to help relieve symptoms, you may get significant relief simply by doing a saline nasal rinse. This PHYSICALLY removes the pollen from your nasal passages, and can significantly reduce allergy symptoms.

My nephew is allergic to grass pollen/clippings. He can mow my mother's lawn if he showers and does a saline nasal rinse immediately afterward, and he has no real allergic symptoms after that.

Julie
Have had fairly good results over the years with a homeopathic brand called Allergena. It is formulated for the allergens by area of the country, and may bring you more specific relief for certain irritants. It comes as a tincture.

I would try to get into good overall health next year, and hit some of the supplements, like quercetin and others, before allergy season starts.

Y.
Try eating local honey. I read about it quite awhile ago, so I did some research and I found this site.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/to_honey.html

I'm sure there is other information about honey being helpful on the web.