No. of Recommendations: 6
Seasonally dependent:

You might consider a trip to Argentina. This is best during our winter. When I went, Aerolinias Argentina offered an air pass that allowed numerous flights for a flat rate (I saved some money by buying them on their spanish language site and picking them up when I got to Buenos Aires). I'm not sure if this program still exists, but it's not unusual for a foreign airline to offer something like this.

The country has jungles in the far north new Iguazu Falls, has the equivalent of the plains states in the Pompas, the equivalent of Colorado in northern Patagonia and Alaska in the south (but with penguins). It's sort of like they took all the climates of the US from Puerto Rico to Alaska and turned them upside down.

Because their economy is on the weak side, your budget should be doable and there is enough to keep you busy for a few weeks. There are quite a few cruise ships which ply between Buenos Aires and Valparaiso (around the Horn) which you might get a last minute deal. From there, you might decide to pop over to Lima/Cusco for a peek at Matchu Pichu.

(Or you could bask your buns on Copacabana in Rio, but I haven't been there in a while and the prices may be higher now).

Ranging through Argentina, then the falls and up to Rio, then across for the Inca stuff should be able to fill the time without getting bored.

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.