No. of Recommendations: 16
SeattlePioneer writes,

There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a physician marrying another physician these days.

</snip>

I fine with a physician marrying another physician as long as they're adequately taxed.

Trickle-down Republicanism has done far more damage than feminism.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Nothing in the article about how feminism has contributed mightily to economic inequality by allowing the meritocratic elite to marry each other.

I wonder if serial divorce contributes to that phenomena as well. Thus even if the meritocratic elite marry another promising member of the meritocratic elite, that person can be easily discarded if they fail to achieve as anticipated, in favor of someone who is actually achieving as expected.

Isn't the phenomena of the billionaire divorcing his "starter" spouse in favor of the movie star or supermodel simply the expression of the same thing? The movie star or supermodel is, after all, a high achieving person themself.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 5
SP argues,

Nothing in the article about how feminism has contributed mightily to economic inequality by allowing the meritocratic elite to marry each other.

I'm pretty sure that elites were marrying each other long before feminism.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<SP argues,

I'm pretty sure that elites were marrying each other long before feminism.

intercst>>

I'm sure you are familiar with the consequences of the argument I made, which is widely understood.

There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a physician marrying another physician these days.

This was illustrated on the television program "LA Law" when two law firm partners married each other.

This phenomena explains quite a lot of the income concentration liberals moan and groan about ----and which their policies created.

Seattle Pioneer
SeattlePioneer writes,

There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a physician marrying another physician these days.

</snip>

I fine with a physician marrying another physician as long as they're adequately taxed.

Trickle-down Republicanism has done far more damage than feminism.

intercst
It's nice to have enough money to pay those unexpected "surprise medical bills" that sometimes come in the mail or pay for a car repair bill where it's no big deal. Just write a check and go on with my life. Back then I knew the places to go to get my old cars repaired cheap and sometimes I could even "fix" the car myself like putting in a new alternator or doing the brakes myself. Not so nowadays. I open the hood of our vehicles and there is nothing I feel comfortable working on.

I remember when I was in college and for a while afterwards driving old used cars, cars that I sometimes paid as little as $200 to $500 for like an old Ford LTD or an old used Honda Civic that someone else got tired of...and then I drove for for several more years after that. I learned how to be frugal and hunt for deals and I never lost that. I guess I never forgot how it is to be poor so I never forgot how to survive like a poor college student. In a lot of ways we still live like that even though we could afford a bigger fancier house and newer more expensive cars.

Doctor bills now worry me. Even with BC/BS health insurance through my wife's work I have gotten a few unexpected surprise doctor bills that were as high as $1300 which for me is a lot of money. I paid them because I had gotten a statement from Blue Cross that told me I owed them. Whew!

So, we're not elite but we're not poor either. We are solidly middle class. Because we didn't have children and we both went to college we are financially healthy but not super wealthy. I am smart enough to know that there are things that could happen to us that could wipe us out. Mostly health related. My wife doesn't want to retire and likes her job and has no definite plans to retire. It will be interesting to see what happens when she does finally cut back or quit altogether. She likes all the recognition she gets and all the energy at the college she teaches at, I think like being around and interacting with college people?

Art
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I'm pretty sure that elites were marrying each other long before feminism." - intercst

That's pretty much the theme of every Romance novel ever written. My sister Lindytoes said to me one time, "you married well." Just for the record when we got married we were equal and both in the same boat, poor college students. Back when I was dating for some reason I was mostly attracted to really smart girls. I don't know how I knew? Or if it was subconscious? When I met my wife I was just so comfortable around her? She was just smart as hell and I could tell...

Art
No. of Recommendations: 4
Two character traits are missing which cause people to get trapped in that life.

1. Contentedness. Being content with what we have makes life so much better. The concept of being satisfied with enough. No unending pursuit for more.

2. Humbleness. I and just about everyone else are not the best at anything. We are limited in our talents and abilities. If someone is better than me, has more than me, is richer than me, then that is ok.

c
<<SeattlePioneer writes,

</snip>

I fine with a physician marrying another physician as long as they're adequately taxed.>>

Only innumerate financial planners can afford to live in fantasy worlds, intercst!

Seattle Pioneer
<<It's nice to have enough money to pay those unexpected "surprise medical bills" that sometimes come in the mail or pay for a car repair bill where it's no big deal. Just write a check and go on with my life. Back then I knew the places to go to get my old cars repaired cheap and sometimes I could even "fix" the car myself like putting in a new alternator or doing the brakes myself. Not so nowadays. I open the hood of our vehicles and there is nothing I feel comfortable working on. >>

Last Friday I spent half a day working on the 1965 GMC pickup truck owned by a friend of mine. We replaced the alternator that wasn't operating reliably, and then spent a couple of hours fabricating a part to hold the drivers side arm rest on securely. He takes a measure of pride and satisfaction keeping this old piece of Detroit iron on the road and improving it from time to time, and it's getting to be a showpiece.

<<I remember when I was in college and for a while afterwards driving old used cars, cars that I sometimes paid as little as $200 to $500 for like an old Ford LTD or an old used Honda Civic that someone else got tired of...and then I drove for for several more years after that. I learned how to be frugal and hunt for deals and I never lost that. I guess I never forgot how it is to be >>

I bought my current car, a 1992 Chevy Astro van, in late 2006 for $1500. It was recommended to me as a vehicle that had a reliable engine and transmission, and that has proven to be the case. However, things like door handles and latches ten to fail. In a couple more years I'll have the annual depreciation cost down to $100/ year, which I figure will be very good!

Seattle Pioneer
intercst:"I fine with a physician marrying another physician as long as they're adequately taxed.>>"

Bernie makes over a million and complains he isn't taxed enough, but refuses to send any extra contributions to the government, which they will happily take.

Same for Warren Buffet.

Both hypocrites of the first order.

Now Lizzie Fauxcahontas Warren is married to a $500,000 year earner, and makes $400,000 for her teaching one course at Harvard....plus I'd bet a chunk of other income......millionaires...and I'd bet she claims she isn't 'taxed enough'.

Probably most physicians are busy paying off hundreds of thousands of medical school debt and the cost of opening a practice.......with all sorts of deductions - paying actually very little in income taxes....and according to the Millionaire Next Door, save 'poorly' if at all to accumulate wealth.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 33
"Same for Warren Buffet. Both hypocrites of the first order" Telegraph

Warren Buffet has approached many of the world's very wealthiest and encouraged them to pledge to leave HUGE sums to charity to help others. It is an amazingly philanthropic achievement. He would also not cheat on his taxes...unlike your beloved President.

Let me know whether you are doing anything for others above your scrupulously honest tax payments before you spread balderdash about Warren Buffet...
"Medical bills", as such, so far have been okay with Medicare and Medigap (which we pay extra for, of course).

But DENTAL bills... No insurance there, and $40 fillings went the way of the dinosaur. I'm now waiting for a letter from my dentist about a situation in my teeth that we will have to figure out how to deal with. Oh, we'll deal with it, but there is no coverage for us oldsters for dental costs.

Vermonter
Art:

Because we didn't have children and we both went to college we are financially healthy but not super wealthy. My wife doesn't want to retire and likes her job and has no definite plans to retire.

We both ended up retiring earlier than we planned. I was caught in a mid-management layoff in my late fifties and her mother had started to fail badly (her husband was gone), so we ended up leaving the work force a bit early. We've made it, so far, but, like you, we know that a MAJOR medical emergency could wipe us out.

I am smart enough to know that there are things that could happen to us that could wipe us out. Mostly health related.

That is true for a majority of Americans. No amount of planning, for most of us, can handle a million-dollar slam aside of the head.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed, or whatever works for you.

Vermonter
"Bernie makes over a million and complains he isn't taxed enough, but refuses to send any extra contributions to the government, which they will happily take. Same for Warren Buffet. Both hypocrites of the first order." - tele

My problem with our government and taxes is that a huge amount of the money ends up being spent on going overseas and making war, killing and bombs, all the while lying that it is to protect our freedom and to save democracy when the truth of it is that it ends up going to the military industrial complex. Endless wars and fighting so old rich people get rich off making war and killing innocents. It's horrendous how our country stays at war. It's disgusting.

Art
Malaoshi: "Warren Buffet has approached many of the world's very wealthiest and encouraged them to pledge to leave HUGE sums to charity to help others. It is an amazingly philanthropic achievement. He would also not cheat on his taxes."

Like I said, Bernie, Lizzie, and Buffet all whine they AREN"T TAXED ENOUGH, but take every legal deduction and loophole to avoid paying TAXES NOW.

The poor, homeless, indigent need the tax money now.

Yeah....Buffet and others will leave their money to a Charity......which will spend money SLOWLY and pay not a dime in income taxes EVER.

So.....hypocrites of the first order. Whine about taxes and not paying enough, then even when they are dead, the taxman won't collect anything from them!

t.
Art:"My problem with our government and taxes is that a huge amount of the money ends up being spent on going overseas and making war, killing and bombs, all the while lying that it is to protect our freedom and to save democracy when the truth of it is that it ends up going to the military industrial complex. Endless wars and fighting so old rich people get rich off making war and killing innocents. It's horrendous how our country stays at war. It's disgusting. "

- - --

Well, tell the Iranians, North Koreans, Taliban, Russians, ISIS to simply give up and turn peaceable.

- - -------

And a good part goes to free loaders on welfare and SS disability.....taking money out of working people's pockets to pay those unwilling to work, 4th generation welfare mom's with deadbeat 'baby daddies'......and a system that perpetuates that. Plus, tens of billions wasted on 'PC CRAP' and feel good stuff for victimology, and the 'ism' of the hour.

Plus of course, the 'cost' of a million federal workers, and ten million corporate workers filling out federal forms constantly.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 10
I wonder if serial divorce contributes to that phenomena as well. Thus even if the meritocratic elite marry another promising member of the meritocratic elite, that person can be easily discarded if they fail to achieve as anticipated, in favor of someone who is actually achieving as expected.

Isn't the phenomena of the billionaire divorcing his "starter" spouse in favor of the movie star or supermodel simply the expression of the same thing? The movie star or supermodel is, after all, a high achieving person themself.

Ask Trumpsky about shoving out perfectly good wives in favor of newer MODELs ;-)
There's a difference in family income between a physician who might commonly have married a nurse decades ago and a physician marrying another physician these days.

This phenomena explains quite a lot of the income concentration liberals moan and groan about ----and which their policies created.

I think you're saying that med schools, law schools, in fact garden variety colleges should've continued to discriminate against women. Then doctors would be forced to marry nurses/teachers/secretaries because of a female dr shortage!

DD's best friend since middle school is a surgeon (and a woman). She married a guy with a bachelor's degree who works for the NYC public transit department (in noise abatement IIRC). Because they had only 1 big earner, plus med school debt, it took until they were 40 years old to be able to afford to buy an apartment near her hospital (she wanted to be walking distance for both speed and exercise). She works a couple days a week serving Medicaid patients in Harlem & the Bronx in addition to her midtown practice.
<<This phenomena explains quite a lot of the income concentration liberals moan and groan about ----and which their policies created.

I think you're saying that med schools, law schools, in fact garden variety colleges should've continued to discriminate against women. Then doctors would be forced to marry nurses/teachers/secretaries because of a female dr shortage!>>

I didn't say that. But income concentration is hugely facilitated by the availability of feminist policies, a topic usually avoided when liberals are complaining about that.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 13
Ref Telegraph's sour remarks about Warren Buffett, who I think seems to be a very nice guy......

Just briefly tried to check Warren Buffett and his taxes...the latest I could find were for 2015...he paid $1.9 million in Federal taxes...(the legally correct amount,) and said he felt was paying too little in comparison with lower wage earners.

I wonder what Trump paid in 2015....or any other year.