Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Wish I had found this board earlier. I've read all the threads but still need help. Limited funds and want to get going in the right direction. Any thoughts? Kindness and mercy please.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's a cliche, but it all depends on your risk profile. SEBL is a solid blue-chip stock that will provide pretty consistent earnings over a good period of time. JDSU is also pretty solid. It's hard at this point to see too many dark clouds on the horizon for this new giant of the fiber optic equipment space. ITWO is also a very solid investment, but has a much richer valuation -- we're getting into the four figure P/E realm here. VRSN is an amazing company, but with a incredible P/E of over 6000.

That said, none of the above is cheap. I'd say that you've found some of the best companies to invest in (for more, see my profile), but you should have a long-term investment horizon and a strong appetite for risk before plunging into any of these.

Best of luck!

P.S. I'd note that there's a lot of short-term uncertainly around VRSN's valuation due to its recently announced merger with Network Solutions.

--Hjelmerus

"It's a cliche, but it all depends on your risk profile."

I agree. However, if it is just a matter of choosing one for now I might consider ITWO and invest through ASDV who they are acquiring. Today ASDV closed at 93.5 and ITWO at 182. When the merger happens ITWO will exchange .55 shares for each ASDV share. Calculating this it would seem that at 93.5/.55 you can acquire ITWO at a more than 6% discount. Following is a link from the ITWO board with a nice analysis of this merger:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1140134000406000&sort=postdate

L.

p.s. Please let me know if my math or anything else here is screwy. I'm just an artist type.
I bought the Gorilla Game a few days ago & am 2/3 of the way through it. Excellent book.

I have had a small position in JDSU for about 4 months now last after much reading & thinking decided to increase my position to almost 1/3 of my portfolio a few days ago. They look to be in the middle of a tornado that should continue for a while (1-2 years?) Though I am not sure how production stacks up to demand over time. It really looks like a fairly conservative investment, long term.

Not sure why some say it is not a gorilla but a king. I read that JDSU keeps their component manufacturing process secret. That mean the architecture is not open?
Hi Lusketeer

The normal defining factor between Gorillas and Kings is whether they have proprietary control of the technology. A Gorilla does, the King doesn't.

Hope this helps

Harold