Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I got my second Covid-19 shot at 10:46 am yesterday in my left arm (See https://boards.fool.com/fwiw-i-got-my-first-shot-of-pfizers-... on my first shot). I had no reaction to the shot so far, including no soreness at the site of the injection, unlike the first shot.
;-)

C.J.V. - still ain’t turned purple or, even worse, liberal, me
;-)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Got my first at the VA on Monday, scheduled shot #2 Feb 12. No problems

The VA was VERY organized, if you can believe that. DW got her first through county at fairgrounds. Those folks not nearly as organized, but she got it.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a Viet Nam era vet (draftee) and tried to register for a VA vaccination yesterday.

I learned they have an income limit--$60K less deductions--for singles. I make too much money. So back to the civilian waiting list.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I learned they have an income limit--$60K less deductions--for singles

Where do you live?

What does income have to do with anything? I mean, what's the thinking? Are those of lower income more entitled? Is it assumed if you have a higher income you can afford to go out and buy the vaccine somewhere else? Does the virus avoid those with more money?

I can't think of any reason household income or race or eye color or the size of your schwanzstucker has ANYTHING to do with getting a vaccination.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 2
I can't think of any reason household income or race or eye color or the size of your schwanzstucker has ANYTHING to do with getting a vaccination.

Those with low income are more likely to:

- live in situations with multiple people

- work jobs that put them in close contact with others

Work jobs that cannot be done “virtually”

- use public transportation rather than private vehicles

- spend significant time with people who likewise share the above attributes.

If you’re trying to bring a pandemic under control, you focus your effort on reducing transmission of the virus- and this is a primary group to target.
Where do you live?

I live in Missouri, but this is the federal governments Veteran's Administration. So I suspect the same policy applies across the land.

VA medical benefits are available to those who are retired from the military or have service connected disabilities.

Those of us honorably discharged prior to 1980 are eligible for VA medical treatment if we meet financial need requirements. That seems to be income less than the median household income.

This is what the VA explained to me. I was not eligible to apply to register.
...this is the federal governments Veteran's Administration. So I suspect the same policy applies across the land.

If there was a household income filter, then no, the VA does not use the same vaccine administration policy across the land. I received my first vaccine last Monday from the local VA. Per their web site the only eligibility criteria was age (65 and older) and being enrolled with the VA. For many local Vets who had never received care from the VA were concerned they would not be eligible, but the local VA sent out a follow-up clarification that it didn't matter, one only had to enroll using the VA enrollment web site. Household income was never raised as an eligibility criteria.

BruceM
The enrollment part is the problem I ran into. I had used the VA years ago for a dental problem when I was first discharged. But was surprised to find I was not in their records.

According to the VA I was not able to register because I could not meet the income requirement.
According to the VA I was not able to register because I could not meet the income requirement.

Hmmm. Now I was enrolled in the VA when I retired due to a service connected disability (some idiot nudged me off the back of a 5-ton leading to an L5-S1 compression fracture that still gives me fits if I stand on a hard surface too long), so I've never had to enroll as I was enrolled automatically. But the central appointments guy at our local VA assured me a vet does not have to qualify for medical services at the VA, using any of the multitude of qualifying factors (household income, service connected disability, POW), the vet only has to register which, he said, is good to do anyway just to get on the e-mail list of VA events/changes and if future benefits are applied for such as the vet pension, burial benefits, etc.

I'm not saying you can register, just passing along what I was told.

BruceM
Thanks, Bruce. I've asked my Congressperson to investigate and clarify.