Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Secondly, as i said earlier, i am not diabetic.

Pre-diabetes is a distinction without meaning and a term that I really dislike. It's more like the early stages of type 2 diabetes. And if you don't like the Metformin, then talk to your doctor about changing it to something else. There are many medications out there, and given your diet and exercise changes, he or she may decide it is not necessary at all. The thing is, unless you are a medical professional, you are not in a qualified position to know what your best course of treatment is. If you don't like or feel a level of trust with your doctor, then find another one. But you risk your health when you dismiss a doctor's prescribed treatment without a consultation.

I'm not a medical professional which is why I try to avoid offering medical opinions or advice. But since you seem to be avoiding speaking with your own doctor, I'll try to explain some biology based on my readings. When you go to sleep, your body does not shut down. All your life support systems continue operating to keep your heart pumping, your lungs breathing and your brain dreaming. Think of it as Power Saving mode, but you still require energy. But since you are sleeping, you are not taking in food. So the body pulls glucose stored in the body and uses it to keep the stove fire burning, and uses insulin to keep the amount of glucose under control.

But when you're diabetic, your body isn't producing insulin correctly, or maybe it's just not using it correctly. As I said before, diabetes affects everyone uniquely. If you produce too much insulin while sleeping, then your blood sugar gets too low. If you produce too little, then the body overcharges with energy, pulling more glucose into your blood stream than you really need. For some people, moderate eating stimulates insulin production, which can lead to lower blood sugars a few hours after eating. For others, a light snack before dinner can also improve fasting blood sugar. And it is also possible that different people need different periods of time between meals and different types of foods to adequately process the glucose in your system.

Your medical professional understands all this, which is why it is important for you to remain in contact with them, to tell them your concerns, and to work with them to find a treatment that is tailored to your particular physiology and personal needs. Trying to manage diabetes on yourself armed with nothing but WebMD and a blood-glucose meter is just fooling yourself into thinking you're not really sick with an incurable degenerative disease.

Fuskie
Whose personal initial reaction to being diagnosed as diabetic was denial, but came to understand that the most insidious aspect to the disease is that even under the best self-management and care, it is a slow deterioration with serious potential consequences and that it is important to have medical experts on his side...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.